Anyone Ever Finished A Guitar In Fur?

I was wondering if anybody has ever finished a guitar in fur like Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top? If you have, I'd like to have a little instruction. Or if you know how they spin their guitars with a swivel, I'd like to be able to do that too if I can figure out or have somebody show me how to make one.

i would imagine just glue the puppies on, paul guilbert had a guitar that had fringe all around the body and up the neck. for the flip thing i think they had a harness of some sort with a fixed pocket and the guitar and something that fit in it , im not explaining this well but i think iw orks like those cell phone holders where it pops in the thing clipped to your belt

I was wondering if anybody has ever finished a guitar in fur like Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top?

Hahah- those guitars look amazing

If you do it you HAVE to post lots of pics

I was wondering if anybody has ever finished a guitar in fur like Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top?

I once finished a Strat in cloth from an old pair of denim jeans. There was a big hole on the edge of the bottom bout, so I put some white cloth in there to look like underwear. Used Evostik. Looked and felt pretty cool, much better than you would think :D

While at college, I was fortunate enough to have a few months of tuition from Matt Klein, who was at one point Head of Gibson R&D Dept.

He showed me a guitar that he was making for Billy Gibbons which had a metal bar on the back on a central pivot so that when the guys were on stage and doing their "thang", they could dip down and when they came back up, the guitars had folded out into a Z. Very cool. I played it before Billy did :D

I seem to recall seeing an ad for the spinning "thingy" in GP, but it was a while back.

It looked like it was a whole strap system, but it didn't show how the axe was attached in the back....

It was called the SPINS strap system if memory serves. It was meant to be mounted at the guitar's center of gravity and aside from ZZ Top's use of it in videos, it was meant to increase the guitarist's comfort.

Verhoevenc, Do u have a link to a website that sells them? And 1576, can u explain how they made the things that spin a lil better? Did they hook to their beltor where did they hook to?

Merely a dunlop/schaller locking system whereby the two ends of the strap are linked by the strap lock, so that when you attach the lock to the strap button (and move your head out the way :D ) you can spin the instrument round

• 11 months later...

Hit the MIMF.com, register, nose throught the 'proud of my work' section, and look for guitars by Ellie Erikson. She makes some wild, wild stuff, including glitter, gold leaf, leopard print fabric, and I seem to recall something pink and fluffy as well. Might be wrong, but it does have some tips re: how to and the like for various funky things.

My brother covered a beat up Tele with cow skin (or what ever it is called when the hair is still attached) and used plain leather as "binding". He used contact cement to glue it on. Worked nice. We dubbed it the TeleCowster