Need Your Opinion

The Spider II 112 is a bargain since they dropped the prices.

Take a look at H&K's new 112: http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products...prod&id=111

Much more expensive but its all tube with built in fx.

do you know if that drop is permanent or just temporary?

I don't know, here is the page about it: http://line6.com/news/general/406

Harmony Central's review section is a joke. I wouldn't bother with it at all. Not having looked at any of those 171, I can already tell you that you'll have everything from a 1 ("This thing is a piece of **** and sounds nothing like a "real" amp!!) all the way up to an exaggerated 10 ("This thing is even better than my MegaSuperTube 3000, which cost me $20,000!! Get it today!!"), making the entire section worthless unless you know individual reviewers whose opinion you trust and can therefore search out.

Everything I've heard about the Spider II tells me that it's a very good value for money, so I don't think you could go "wrong" with it. Having seen that H&K link, though, I think it warrants at least a peek. :D

Greg

I sold my Line6 Spider II 212 not so long ago and i would recommend it to those who either like copious amounts of distortion or quite a nice clean :D

It has a nice range of settings with some good features (noise gate, onboard tuner and 2nd stage of gain (not that you should ever need it))

Theyre reliable (gigged with it many times) and combined with the FBV Express, you can use Wah and volume on the expression pedal.

The only reason i sold it as it wasnt my "style". I dont like all that gain everywhere and i now use a Peavey Transfex Pro 212s

~~ TS ~~

Edited by TenderSurrender

I have a Line 6 210 and I love the thing. Crunch channel red LED does some really nice marshall sounds that are just right for motorhead type sounds and between that and the metal green LED channel you can get some decent Maiden style sounds. I suggest you get hold of an EQ pedal if you don't have one already as I find the EQ's on the channels to be either too sensitive or no where sensitive enough (and you don't get a mid control on metal channel green LED because the 'mid' control is used for changing the texture of the distortion). The Behringer EQ700 is cheep and supprisingly quiet.

As already said the built in noise gate is nice feature (I have mine perminantly on, it really helps on some of the higher gain settings). :D I also have the 'gain boost' perminantly on too but then again I mainly use the 'Insane' red LED channel on full blast so there you go.

I'd also suggest you get the FBV express as its cheep (compared to the full floor board or short board) and lets you use the volume pedal, wah and gives you a full chromatic tuner (though it can't handle tunings below C-ish). Defenatly worth the extra IMHO.

My only two gripes with the Line 6 are that the Master volume is extremely sensitive especially so at low levels (might be less sensitive on the lower powered models though), and the 'Blues' channels are rubbish IMHO. Other than that is sooooo nice, way better than the Marshall soild states and the Roland Cube amp.

Robert

I would seriously consider the Marshall MG's, they're absolutely great amps. I used to own a MG15DFX for a little break room amp, until it got stolen, and then I still went out and bought another one, because my opinion was that the line 6 amps (the spider 2's) didn't hold a match to the tone of these things. I'd say give it a look:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mar...-Amp?sku=483189

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mar...mbo-?sku=483190

Cheers,

Nish

Oh god marshall MG... worst nightmare come true :D

At our school's talent show, 2 persons brought MG100DFX heads... They sounded EXTREMELY crappy!!! It was almost scary... My 60 watt tube amp sounded much better than anything else there...

Anyways, I haven't tryed a Line 6 amp, but I'd say they should be good for practice, but as far as stage or studio use, I'd stay far from them...

I really dont like the spider amps. The only way they dont sound sterile and dull is when the reverb is cranked. It does produce some decent clean tone's when the right effects are added. Personally id get a nice small tube amp there are lots out there that can get the tone's your looking for. But when it comes to price vs performance the spider isnt half bad. Hope my grammer and spelling mistakes havn't hurt my almost non existant "credability" on this forum haha. Just take this review for the 2 cents its worth and run down to your local guitar store and test them out!

Edited by guitarchump

The Spider II amps are nice, and for the money are hard to beat. I was looking to pick one up after being ampless for so long, but found an original 5150 212 combo for $599 at SuperMegaGuitarMart w/ 15 months 0% interst financing and couldn't pass it up.

However, if you're looking for a vesatile amp that you can practice with at low volumes as well as play out with at a smaller venue, the Spider II's are hard to beat. I'm actually a little disappointed with the 5150 because it's honestly more amp than I need or can use at home and it doesn't really sound good unless it's cranked. so I am considering taking it back for a Spider II 210 since the prices have been dropped by about $100. $299 for a decent 120 watt amp with versatile sounds isn't bad, though I have my POD XT Pro with a lot of presets already. What I'd really like is some way to use that with just a power amp without having to break the bank or get extra features.

GBT