trem size

when i went from my squire standard liscend floyd to a real floyd low pro i noticed there was a bit of extra room at the back of the pocket, so my guess whould be yes... you using the schallers original floyd?

Does anyone know the minimum thickness a body should be to install a Floyd original?

Floyd Rose's link to Stewmac's installation diagrams is messed up. Their whole site is. I was able to view other people's submitions to Floyd Rose while trying to contact them because the form wasn't set up properly!? They need to seriously sort it out considering the kind of things they sell.

My piece of wood started out at 2", then I watched on in horror as the guy fed it thru the machine trimming off big shavings of it. It's just over 1 1/2" thick now, I think it's something like 39mm, so he took about 5mm off.

Now I'm concerned that I shouldn't route the cavity until I have checked out the bridge, in case I need to rapidly convert the project to a fixed bridge!

Oh yea.... and of course, as normal, this guy happened to have Brazilian Mahogany lying around. I phoned everywhere in the North West, even a privately owned tree plantation in Wales, and NO WHERE had it. I buy the wood, take it for planing, and it's sitting there. :D

Does anyone know the minimum thickness a body should be to install a Floyd original?

I bought a Floyd Original from Warmoth and put it in a guitar with a body of 1 3/4" thickness. It was a recess installation. I just barely had enough room to recess the trem cover on the back (just over 1/16" recess for the cover). For a 1 1/2" body, you might have to do something like westhemann said. For me, the 1 1/2" body would not have worked.

I'd really like to know where you can buy these blocks separately. I always thought I was stuck with the large block size and was a little pissed when I saw how short my Ibanez block was. I hate it when the big manufacturers get all of the breaks but it turns out that I was just missing out on this one.

ya.... you can always add a 1/2" or 1/4" top...

i had a really long blcok form my floyd pro, my dad just took it into a machine shop at work and got it redrilled then cut based on the old liscened length block.

I've not tried it yet, so I have to ask, does the block come away from the base of the tremolo itself? If it does, machining it will be easier. If it doesn't I'll have to watch out for marring the bridge into a low quality, ebay purchase, finish! :D

I wanted to profile the body similar to the S series from Ibanez. Would a 1/4" thick top even bend that much without steaming? I don't really want to try steaming a top into place yet.

if you remove all the saddles there are 3 counter sunk screws holding the block on

for an S top you might as well just buy a 1/2" top then carve everything into that, unless you want to get a 1/4 and bed it over the arm rest the carve the rest...