I Accidentally Routed All The Way Through On My Electronics Cavity.

Damn it. The hole is about the size of a quarter. It looks like it was caused by me not torquing the nut that fastens the router bit shank hard enough. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to work with this problem? I started to put some glue in to fill with, it looks like I'd have to put on several layers and build it up until it seals. I was planning to have a material finish. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Damn it. The hole is about the size of a quarter. It looks like it was caused by me not torquing the nut that fastens the router bit shank hard enough. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to work with this problem? I started to put some glue in to fill with, it looks like I'd have to put on several layers and build it up until it seals. I was planning to have a material finish. Thanks in advance for any comments.

A few pics would help determine how we can direct you with some ideas. Also what type of finish you were planning on?

Mike

A few pics would help determine how we can direct you with some ideas. Also what type of finish you were planning on?

Mike

In the OP I stated that I was going to do a material finish. This is just a good excuse to be set on that, heh.

Pics:

dscf0716sy2.th.jpg

dscf0717nh5.th.jpg

dscf0718tw4.th.jpg

As you can see, my electronics cavity was already a mess at that point..

Edited by Trann

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...21292&st=60

/\ Check that link out, it shows how the illustrious METALMATT (there may be an ! or two missing there) fixed a similar type of problem. I don't know how hard it would be to cover a similar plate with your material finish or not, maybe you could choose a different finish that compliments your original idea. I'm thinking that if you go this route, a pickguard-thickness veneer or even a pickguard itself would cover it up; I wouldn't want a thick wooden faceplate jutting out from the body of my JEM.

Best of luck,

-Xanthus

I don't think I'd like to put a piece of wood or plastic on top of it. What seems reasonable to me is the idea of shaping a small chip from my scrap wood to fit fairly well into the hole, and then sealing it in with glue. The other course of action which I'd like a second opinion on would be to build up small layers of glue until the hold is covered over. I'm planning on doing this: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/holoflash.htm

i would say put a plate ontop , i like the look of the carl thompsons alot; it may look wierd with front and back covers, but any defects on the front always look bad unless your willing to paint/sunburst

Please read the thread before posting. I am planning to do a material finish.