Floyd Rose Questions

Hello,

On the Floyd Rose system, does anyone have any information as to how far from the nut the mounting screws have to be set? Unfortunately, I no longer have any Floyd guitars to measure from. Also, is there any difference in whether the system is recessed or top mounted (inertia block length, namely)?

Thanks for any info.

The distance really depends on the scale length of the fret board as well. I could say about 25" would do but that wouldn't do you any good on say a PRS or Gibson Style neck where the scale length is different.

Design on the trem comes into play as well since each one is a little different from the knife edge to the contact point for the string on the saddles.

And your correct on the block length thing that does have something to do with it, but for the most part the Floyds have been broken into two maybe three groups (Low Profile) which is recessed usually, Original which can sit on top with just the inertia block cavity routed out and then specialy trems which may require different styles of routing such as a recessed pocket but not so deep as in a Low Profile Floyd.

What brand are you using? I have noticed that the Schaller unit has a deeper block than the Original Floyd. I will check when I get home but I remember the instructions on the routing saying that the mounting holes should be drilled at about 25" from the nut for a 25.5" scale guitar. I'll double check this later today.

Not sure what the radius is...gonna e-mail them and see if I get an answer. 14" or higher would be ideal for me. I am not sure if they are direct replacements for the Ibanez Lo Pro bridge, although the specs match up. Looks very close to the TRS bridge that Ibanez uses. They also have a 43mm nut that is available, which is the same size as the Jem. I would like to use the Lo Pro from Ibanez (I believe that it is machined by Gotoh), but they are just a little expensive for me right now

The one advantage that I see is the it can be recessed, plus I like the way the saddles are set up with the string lock screw on the back of the saddle (easier to get to). I think Jackson has used this bridge on some of their models.

I shouldn't have said "replacement". What I meant to say is that they are selling the metric nuts which leads me to beleive they are intended for guitars similar to Ibanez and others. Please let me know what you find concerning the nut and bridge radius. I'd really like to know what they are.

Thanks,

Dave

Do the low-pro bridges have any significant advantages over the others?

I think so . I used a regular Floyd for a long time but after getting a guitar with a low profile version, I loved it and can't go back to a regular. It's so much more comfortable.

I was looking at the Low-Pro version, (Low_Pro from guitarpartsdepot.com). It is "licensed" under Floyd Rose patents, so I am not sure who actually makes it. Thank you everyone for your time

Remember that you get what you pay for. I'm no Floyd Rose expert but a quick look at the picture of that Low Pro sort of scares me. The main body part looks like a piece of sheet metal when compared to my Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge which is more massive. And the knife edges are part of the main body so you can't replace them when they're worn. Hopefully, that sheet metal piece is of tempered steel.

edroman sells the original (real) floyd's for pretty good prices..... he finaly changed over to web based puying.... and it's 20$ less then the carvin ones carvin is good, but not worth 20$ more then the real thing IMO lol.... sorry i'm always preaching about the real floyds... i just like them alot....

I've read on jemsite.com that regular Floyd Rose type bridge is a lot stiffer than Lo-Pro or the Edge trem system. I have Edge and it covers my needs for trem work. My friends who play guitars other than Ibanez have Floyd originals or clones (Jackson variation on the subject) and their locking trems are way more stiffer (the strength needed for pulling the trem up or droping it down is much greater, but not in terms of getting your biceps pumped up for the task!). Edge is VERY sensitive trem. I don't know; maybe it has to something with the propper trem mass distribution (?!?!?!).

mullmuzzler | OSSMT

the only things that affect the sensitivity of the trem are the guage strings, and the position of the whammy bar insert hole.... i mean think about it.... physicaly those can be the only to variances. since the saddles have to be the same distance back from the 2 pivots on all floyds... you could probably say some BS about different kinds of springs.... but... ya. i'd say it's mostly the position of the whammy.... the closer it gets to the posts, the more sensitive it's going to be..... (ugg i'm tired i could have that backward)