Hi guys,

Just a note to let all of you know that as of last wednesday I no longer belong to the MDMafia!!!

I have moved to Texas, for the second time. I will be living in Ft Hood, (or atleast use it as a overstay because I will be going to Iraq in OCT-NOV time) I have 2 projects to finish, the SG that I started in Korea with Hyunsu, and a Jazz bass(imitation, and my first bass) that I will be customizing and making a body for it.

A few months left before I go, so I got to get busy on them as soon as they get here, (in transit from Korea).

Hopefuly it will all be as good as I plan, or at least as good as my last few builds, being a long time, since me and Hyunsu stopped working in Korea. I'm mad that I can't resume full time, since the Iraq vacation is on the way, and may be another Korea tour as soon as that one is finish, but this time I will take all my stuff with me to Korea, and I will be working fulltime there, and if possible visit Hyunsu more often :D

Well guys, till later.

Any chance of a brief overview of life in the military? :D

Obviously no confidentials, but wondering just how different life may be to the average 9 to 5ers

You've got me curious, that's for sure.

I have done the 9 to 5 too. And I would love to do it again, but the only reason i stay in for now is the "benefits" you get from the army. Ie. 100% tuitition assistance (not to count the GI Bill if you get out), 100% medical for you and the family, ( you can be sick for 365 days and still get paid), 30 day vacation, exta money for housing, etc...

Other than that it sucks (well kinda) you get up at 5:30am PT (physical training) from 6:00 to 7:00, go to work at 8:30-12:00 1:00-5:00... you can get different details during the week depending on the installatin you are, like 24hrs straight duty... this is only on US, when you deploy (Iraq) everything goes out the window, all I can say is that you are authorized (or they have to give you) a total of 4hrs sleep time, after that is all work.

Maiden, I spent 7 years in the Army and sure I bitched about it here and there, but I miss it greatly now. It sort of gets in your blood and becomes part of who you are. I recently have gone through a really rough time with missing it since I hit an anniversary of being out as long as I was in. Combine that with the news of a fallen soldier who I trained years ago. I don't regret getting out, but I definately miss the comradare and structure.

Good luck and Godspeed none-the-less. Mind if I ask where you were in Korea and what your MOS is?

R-

I was everywhere... really!!! I was stationed in Yong San, but I TDY all over the peninsula! From the DMZ to Pusan!!!

My MOS is 94E now, when you were in it was 29E most probably, that is Radio and COMSEC repairer. But in Korea I was an installer of fiber optics and LAN systems, from the ground up (hardware only)

WIRE_DOG! Hehe, yup you guys were everything from the 29 to the 31 series. Of course the old wire dogs have gotten a little technologically advanced since then I guess. No fiber Optics and LAN was laughable. I remember the old satphone days where I would break 'em and hand em over to a tech to fix it. (those were the intel days) Then I reclassed into air traffic thinking it would be a cake job. I ended up running tactical landing zones and FARPS From Camp red cloud north. Korea had to be the coldest and the hottest place I have ever been (in one place).

I don't know why but talking to guys like you makes me want to jump out of perfectly good aircraft aircraft again. Preferably a UH-1 with a rope...Air Assault (dope on a rope)!

R-

Actualy I'm to a wire (or cable dog as we call them now) We belong to ordenance now as maintenance because we repair the Rts... but yes my mission last year was installer, and I loved it, I had a few civilian contractors approach me to sign me in, but I had already extended my re-enlistment... Now I can't wait to re-enlist next FEB to ask for Korea again, I loved it there, from all the places I have been, other than Puerto Rico, that had to be my #1 place...

And above all, I mentioned to a civilian that I was planning on re-enlisting for Korea and I received a letter from my CO saying to let him know when I will be arriving and he will pull me to the unit because of the Fiber Optic training that Ihad there, I learned my job in a month and most SGT's and soldiers that go there it takes them atleast 6 months to obtain the proficiency that Iadquiered in 1... I can't wait... and to think that I have to wait atleast 23 more months!!!!