Edge Gluing

sexybeast

Are you referring to gluing together something like a body blank? If so, what I do is use 4 bar clamps, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom. I set it up so that the bar is flat against the wood being glued(it helps to put wax paper or something simular between the wood and bar to avoid gluing your clamp to your body) and the pressure from the bar on both sides keeps the body blank from warping as it glues.

peace,

russ

you can never own too many clamps!!!

i use bessey clamps (just glorified bar clamps) to pull the edges together and cam clamps to clamp the top and bottom along the center line (using wax paper as suggested by thegarehanman). i also use a nice flat piece of quality ply under the bottom of the pieces of wood i am gluing together. the ply is about the length of my wood pieces and about 2/3 - 3/4 as wide. it helps apply the pressure evenly. oh, btw, i like to use a lot of clamps, but that's just me. anyway, just the way i personally like to clamp up.

Totally the same as thegarehanman. Two sash cramps, and four F-screw clamps. The greaseproof paper is a must also. Much better than chiselling MDF caul scraps off your glue seepage lines!

The best thing is that the sash cramps I have are so large, you can pick up the glued piece by the bars and lean it against a wall whilst it's curing. Then you can get on with the next set :-)

The first thing is to have perfectly smooth and square edges. If the edges aren't square, they will slide around more. Then, as mentioned, alternate your clamps top and bottom. Tighten them down SLOWLY and evenly, keeping things aligned as you go. Don't overdo the clamping force. There are a lot of ways to clamp accross the joint to keep the edges aligned. You can use dowels or biscuits in the joint to prevent any shifting, but you have to plan ahead so they won't end up anywahere that will become visible.

You can also go fancy and use four-way clamps like these:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=321

(Nice for doing top laminates too ... )

I cheat slightly sometimes. The jointer gives as true a perpendicular planed edge as it's setup allows (readjust with set-square every time I pop it back on the bench) but even a 100th of a degree can cause (I forget the true word for this) hydroplaning of surfaces under the pressure exerted by clamping for glue. I find you get it less if you lightly rough edges with 80 grit, dampen with a cloth, rough with 120 and then lightly apply glue to both edges, spreading with a credit card for consistency. Waiting a minute before applying both edges and clamping seems to cause a little less shifting when bringing up to pressure.

I have no scientific proof of why I do this, or any evidence to say it's better than any other method. It works for me on porous wood like mahogany, and it doesn't seem to cause excessive buildup of glue line. As with anything, your mileage may vary!

I use 4 bar clamps on a body blank with 2 on top and 2 on btm.

I try and not use a lot of glue just enought to see a little glue line when you clamp things togeather. use dowls is a good idea to line things up with out them slidding all over.

good luck

hope that helps. :D

Edited by prs man

you can take a little finish brad nail, and hammer it in one side, and snip the head off with some wire cutters, just leave a little bit sticking up, and when pressed to the other side it will not go anywhere, also good with fingerboards on necks.

dave

Yep thats what I do. Just make sure you don't put the nail in a spot that is going to be carved or routed :D

I use 4 pipe clamps, 2 bar clamps, and 2 I don't know what you call them clamps to glue body halves together (might be overkill but I never had a problem with a glue line). To keep the two halves even, I use C-clamps, one one each end of the halves

Like so:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j140/hyd...an/0d517671.jpg

After removing from the clamps, I run the body through the thickness planer on each side to smooth it all up.

Cheers

you can take a little finish brad nail, and hammer it in one side, and snip the head off with some wire cutters, just leave a little bit sticking up, and when pressed to the other side it will not go anywhere, also good with fingerboards on necks.

+2

And lots of clamps and careful inspection douring clamping.