Heavy Sound

My take on the heavy metal thing. Is don't use as high output pickups as you would think. Duncan JB is probably as far as i would go. As for wood, it depends what kind of sound you're looking for. Basswood probably good for the more metallic sounds, alder (or other strat woods) for maiden style sounds.

S

Heck look at Ywngie, he plays on a Strat, but uses high output humbuckers.

He uses low output singlecols.

Well... as I already mentioned on page one, except for his true vintage "I don't wanna mess with this" guitars, he actually uses medium-output humbucking single-coil replacements. :D

Greg

ihocky2

Jackson and Charvel used Poplar bodies during their "San Dimas" era.

I never understood the craze for those.

What was so special about them being built in San Dimas?

It is a nice little town.

After those years, I am not sure.

Mike

in my honest opinion it doesnt really matter what wood or what pup aslong as there both decent in quality (and output for the pup). its the way you play it that makes it heavy (to a certain extent of course, using a twin reverb and a strat probably wouldnt sound metal).

most metal bands dont sound heavy just with a guitar. the bass and drums are what make it heavy. for example master of puppets by metallica, the guitars arent super saturated but its still heavy because the other insruments and the way they play it.

use a decent output pup and play with some aggression. also heavy picks help alot too.

ihocky2

Jackson and Charvel used Poplar bodies during their "San Dimas" era.

I never understood the craze for those.

What was so special about them being built in San Dimas?

It is a nice little town.

After those years, I am not sure.

Mike

Probably not so much the "What" and "Where" as the "Who" and "How."

"Why?"

:D

Pickup selection is highly important too, generally youll want higher output pickups such as actives or duncan jb, distortion, full shred, etc. Gibson also has good metal pickups like 500t and dirtyfingers. And I have no clue about dimarzios never played em. Ones you want to stay away from are the lower output pickups like 59s and pafs. Also you can never go wrong with a duncan jazz in the neck for clean tones.

MzI

Although high output pickups are a good idea, some players prefer medium output pickups like the PAF Pro by DiMarzio, the Screamin' Demon by Seymour Duncan and others I can't remember right now.

Its basically a question of style of sound you're going for.

:D

Thanks for the input so far guys. Basicly this guys dream tone is this band. link

They use EMG pickups with Krank amps.

Hey those guys played a show in my area the other night ( I think that was one of the names my friend mentioned "As I Lay Dying" ) Not my type of music, but apparently they were pretty good. They're really well known around here, you're gettin' up there Godin! :D way to go

Edited by Lord-of-the-strings

I sort of agree. That was what my original response to the "humbucker" guy was meant to say. But just to be pedantic, they're still not single coils. And he obviously doesn't mind a bit of extra output (that's why I say "medium output") as hinted at in the DiMarzio description of their HS-3. They agree that it's NOT a high-output pickup, but also go on to describe a "warmer than typical" sound and something about the way it drives the amp that's also not exactly like a strat single-coil. I can't remember the exact text.

Greg