My guitar's neck bowed backward...

Alchool

Yesterday I fretted my neckthrough guitar... but, as a result of fretting, the neck bowed backward. I put on the bridge (original floyd rose) and the strings, and fretting from the first till the sixth-seventh fret produces only a bad slap sound, no note...

Hope I don't have to trash my guitar...

Maybe I should put the strings on again and let it sit for some weeks?

:D

Leave it sit for a couple days with the strings tuned to pitch. Make sure the truss rod is completely loose too. I'll bet it will straighten out after a day or two. It's not all that uncommon for the neck to have a slicht backbow after fretting. This is usually caused by the fret slots in the fingerboard being too narrow, and when the frets are pressed in the force the slots apart causing the backbow

major bummer, i hope it level's out after a couple of days, what gauge string do you have one there? if it doesn't work maybe you could try i jazz set like 56-13 or something, harder to play but it may work better. What kinda equipment where you using?

(hopes for the best)

major bummer, i hope it level's out after a couple of days, what gauge string do you have one there? if it doesn't work maybe you could try i jazz set like 56-13 or something, harder to play but it may work better. What kinda equipment where you using?

(hopes for the best)

Well, here there's a pro-luthier that could (hopefully) fix the problem if it's so bad.

That's where the neck jig really would help out.. Did you level your neck and frets with truss rod tension? If not then your not gonna get an accurate fretjob. Also did you put the right size fretwire in, compared to the fret slot.. It sounds like you actually did compression fitting on accident.. that the way Martin used to straighten a neck, they would put frets in that was slightly bigger than the slot, thus moving the neck into a backbow direction. Which in your case isn't a good thing, since you've ended up with more backbow than you wanted. If it doesn't straighten out, you'll have to pull the frets and replace them with ones that fit better. Hope this helps any at all..

Matt

Yeah both Rhoads and KD are right... Pull one of the frets so you can do some measuring, but be careful, you'll want to use a small soldiering iron to heat the fret across as you are pulling it with some pullers while you go across the fret. After the slot is clean of any glue or any wood dust, take some feeler guages and measure the slot. Next, check your tang size with some good calipers. This should give you a good idea of why the neck was backbowed so bad. When you figure out what went wrong, order a different sized fretwire that will fit properly with minimal backbow movement, or make the slots bigger. If it was me, I'd just get the right fretwire for the job. Since making the slot bigger is gonna make it worse if anyone has to refret the guitar in the future you'll be working with alot less wood. But either way will get the job done. Good Luck

Matt V