Minimal Toolset

Logical Frank

I first was just interested in modifying my mass produced guitars but seeing all the great stuff you folks do has got me wanting to build my own guitars. The two problems I have here is I'm starting pretty much at zero as far as tools go and I live in a small appartment. I have a back yard I can use to work in but I'm packed in pretty tight so I don't have hardly any storage space. Anyone have any ideas as far as how much I could get done w/ handtools and such and what would be good to start w/? I figure people have been making instuments since before there was a such thing as electricity so there must be some way to about it.

I dunno if it's gonna work out but I managed to brew beer in my little place so I figured maybe I could get a guitar or two out of it as well. I suppose, ideally, I would just find a friend w/ a workshop I could borrow but I can't think of anyone at the minute...

Hand tools are good, and for power tools: if there's any way to swing it, buy a small drill press, and definitely buy a good electric jigsaw and router. Everything else is in the 'nice to have but not essential' category, and if you can occasionally borrow access to a drill press for tuner holes, you don't really need that either.

Could I use a hand held jigsaw or do I need a benchtop one? This is starting to seem doable. You kinda look through all those threads where people go through their whole build and it starts to seem like you need bandsaws and laser-defense systems and such... I guess that is not the case.

A handheld jigsaw is fine, a router is essential as well as a hand drill. A drill press is very helpfull, but if you can find access to one, they are not essential to own.

+1

What he said

Thanks for the help, fellas. Just a few more questions...

Would I want a fixed or plunge based router? And what kind of power would I be looking at for that and the jigsaw? I'm not gonna be using these all the time by any means. I can't see myself making more than a couple guitars a year. However, I have been know to become obsessed...

Ignore the guys with fantastically outfitted shops. Heck, ignore whatever shop pics I post soon enough; I've been building out of my parents' garage and my own tiny student room with hand tools and handheld powertools exclusively for a good while now, slowly getting more and better tools, and now, almost 9 years in, I've got my bandsaw. These things make it easier to build, but they ain't required.

As for the questions: Either fixed base or plunge is fine, if you're in the US get a kit with both; Porter Cable's 690 series and Bosh's 1617 (I believe that's right) are good routers, good kits, and that's the power category you should be looking at. Most people prefer plunge routers, since you can do everything you can with a fixed base router, pretty much, but both have their uses. I like the solidity of a fixed base, and I rarely if ever actually plunge into a cut. For the Jigsaw, get a nice hefty one if you can. Bigger and badder the better, Bosch's has an outstanding reputation.

If you build 'a couple guitars per year', that's more than my average output (life's busy, see?), but I still wouldn't skimp on the tools.

Oh, and remember to not buy router bit sets, and buy good quality bits you need ONLY (Whiteside from Routerbits.com are nice).

Thanks for the help, fellas. Just a few more questions...

Would I want a fixed or plunge based router? And what kind of power would I be looking at for that and the jigsaw? I'm not gonna be using these all the time by any means. I can't see myself making more than a couple guitars a year. However, I have been know to become obsessed...

[Edit]: Beaten by Mattia - pay attention to what he says. His past work makes him very worth listening to,

Edited by Supernova9

+1 on the bosch jigsaw they were all i used when i built docks in florida

i had to use it to cut the deck boards around the pilleings(spellcheck)

and some of the boards were 3" thick others were ipe wich is hard as hell

and the bosch cut it like butter. twice as good as the porter cable i had

i said had because i forgot it one day and borrowed the bosch of a freind

and it just kicked i think i paid around $140 for it but worth every penny

Well--if it's good enough to build decks in a swamp for retirees, it's good enough for my guitars! :D

Thanks again guys. It looks like this is not gonna be as expensive as I thought nor as cheap as I'd like. I was hoping I could maybe pick up the jigsaw and router for fifty bucks a pop but, thinking about it, I'd rather just wait a couple months and get something that'll last longer than five years. I am pretty excited to get the tools just for their own sake but the idea that I could make guitars w/ them is something I wouldn't have imagined I could do three or four months ago.

An apartment, huh?

Two things....a vacuum and thin platic and tape to mask off everything from the work space.

Chisels, router, jig saw (or coping saw) straightedge, scapers, drill (maybe with a "drill press" adapter).

Easy on the sandpaper, or go outside for that. Try KTM-9 for finishing. I used it on a rosewood acoustic and it worked good for me.

Can you get away w/ a coping saw? That's what I kinda had in mind originally but figured it was kina of a pipe dream. Anything powered will have to go outside except for maybe drilling a few holes. What is this "drill press adapter", something that allows you to use a regular drill as a drill press? I searched and all I found was adapters that you attatched to your drill press.

As far as finishing, I was thinking I would try this wiping varnish technique: http://www.liutaiomottola.com/PrevPubs/Wip...pingVarnish.htm

Edited by Logical Frank

I suppose you might be able to get away with a coping saw, but having tried one body, giving up after half an hour/a few inches, I wouldn't reccomend it. Seriously, if you're worried about mess, consider using your bathroom for some 'messy' operations. Bathrooms tend to be all nice and easy to clean, walls and all. Compared to carpeted/upholstered rooms, anyway. A friend of mine actually shoots waterbased finishes (spray) in his shower cubicle. With a respirator, natch, but cleanup's easy: turn on the shower, spray it down. Perhaps not strictly legal, but what the heck...

I used a coping saw because I was too lazy to roll out the band saw and it worked great.

I used it to cut the headstock out of thick (2") maple. I now have a Popeye right forearm after using it though. Whew, that was tough!

Yeah, that's what I was talikg about! One of those cheesy Black and Decker "wanna-be" drill presses.

I bought one years ago. Worked fairly good. Don't expect a 90 degree angle. I had to use spacers to elevate the low side, but it worked.

The Mother of Invention...ah, what a challenge things can be sometimes.

You will find that the more you get into it, the more creative ways you will find to make due with what you have. I have to admit that I have came up with some cool (and probably dangerous) ideas when either I couldn't be bothered to get up to the hardware store or I thought StewMac was too expensive.

Here is some other stuff you should get.

Razor Saw (for slotting fingerboards..Exacto makes them)

Arbor press (only 30 bucks at Harbor Freight)

Clamps Clamps Clamps Clamps Clamps

Hand Planer

Good Random Orbit Sander (MUST HAVE!!!)

Is there any way that you could rent a storage room?

I tell you man, the more you get into it...the more stuff you will collect.

You will find yourself making jigs, storing woods, buying new tools and lord know what else.

Hell, my addiction has grown so bad that I'm about to move out into the country so I have the space to build my workshop (I call it the woman haters club).

Good luck with it

I have just finished my first guitara strat copy. I bought the tools as I needed them.

180w orbital sander

550w jigsaw

1050w router plunge.......by the way I drilled the machine head holes with the router and an appropiate bit, they came out very cleanly

All were at the cheap end of the market but not the cheapest I think I paid about £40 for them =$80 ish. The Jigsaw and router in my opinion are a must, I bought the sander because the timber I used for the body was rough sawn.

Tho the tools were inexpensive buy the best bits, blades paper you can afford, I think one of my router bits cost just as much as the router itself.

Well--I have a lot to consider now. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have the money to get started until this winter and, as I mentioned, I'll have to work outside so it looks like I might be waiting until spring for my first build... In the meantime, I think I'll probably pick up a thing or two from StewMac and learn how to do my own fretwork or something to keep me busy.

Your workshop doesn't have to be expensive.

First of all...all tools you only use a couple of times during bit - planes, bandsaws, table saws.......get phone book and start calling around. Beg, steal or borrow you way into one. Woodworking, furniture manufacturers are great sources. Explain what you are doing and for 6 pack or pack of smokes they will help ya out.

You simply can't beat this. Simply call around.

Next up you need one of these.......

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=47937

And it simply won't die on me. It's been dropped a number of times.......but it keeps going and going.....fully can recommend it. Yes, it's cheap chinese router.......but sometimes there are nice treasures amongst them.

Cheap router....but get quality bits. I get my bits at http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/

Next to that I have $9.95 type work-mate.

B0001GRVYG.01.TZZZZZZZ.jpg

Some huge clamps to clamb/glue two piece body blank.....next to 10-15 smaller clambs (can never have enough of those)

Next up my $20 jig saw........still works wonders. Even cuts through body blank with slightly longer blades.

Prevents me from using bandsaw.

I don't mess with fretboard slotting and buy my fretboards slotted at lmii.com....

What else?.......hmmmm.........couple of Nickelson rasp and files......tons of MDF, sandpaper, and sanding blocks in all shapes and sizes. Even hair spray bottle works as sanding block....

As you can see.......all in all maybe $100 worth of (power) tools.

Oh, and $10.000 worth of elbow grease.......you need tons of that.

Edited by RGGR

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but get yourself a good vacuum cleaner and lots of duct tape to pick up the dust and chips you're generating :-)

I gather you probably don't have tools that have dedicated provision for extraction yet, but everyone has a vacuum cleaner! The duct tape is for mounting hoses temporarily in places where dust and chips gather, and to keep your work clean.