My Carved Top Neckthrough

Well here is the third neckthrough I have been working on. This one is for myself, and I can't wait until this one is done!!!!! So here are the specs.

Neck

5 piece with curly maple and cherry, with rosewood stipes

surrounding the cherry.

Hot Rod truss rod

carbon rods along truss

curly maple cap on headstock with walnut stipe under it

Body

Cherry body with walnut stipe under quilted maple top

a piece of walnut seporates the neck from the body sides

Hardware

Sperzel tunners in satin chrome

The T-Bridge from LR Baggsin chrome

chrome schaler strap locks

chrome knobs and switch

Electronics

Bridge pickup: JB seymore duncan

Neck picup: Hot Rails seymore duncan

three way selector switch

25 1/2" Scale

Fretboard will be ebony bound with curly maple like the padauk neckthrough

with custom inlay of some sort?

img0047nb3.jpg

img0058ct0.jpg

img0053ae0.jpg

img0056on8.jpg

img0063gi6.jpg

Enjoy

Mike :D

Edited by rsguitar

Still not an enormous fan of the body shape, but the work is top notch, and the woods are lovely. What was your weapon of choice for the carve?

My teeth I was realy hungry.....LOL

No I used a router on the body sides before the glue up and then finished off the rest by hand with a chisel and sandpaper, and a lot of time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

hey, now that's a neat idea. my biggest problem with doing through-neck guitars has been getting the face of the guitar flush with the wings and the center. because you can't really plane or sand it with machines very well because of the bit that's sticking out where the fretboard glues on. you seem to have a solution for that, by having the place where the neck sticks up be curved like that rather than a right-angle. you could just machine that on any sort of belt sander. cool idea. thanks. but what about pickup routes? i guess i could do the ol' drill n' file. but that's sort of lame. or i could suspend the router over it. which would probably work best. cool work!

• 2 weeks later...

hey, now that's a neat idea. my biggest problem with doing through-neck guitars has been getting the face of the guitar flush with the wings and the center. because you can't really plane or sand it with machines very well because of the bit that's sticking out where the fretboard glues on. you seem to have a solution for that, by having the place where the neck sticks up be curved like that rather than a right-angle. you could just machine that on any sort of belt sander. cool idea. thanks. but what about pickup routes? i guess i could do the ol' drill n' file. but that's sort of lame. or i could suspend the router over it. which would probably work best. cool work!

as far as the pickup routes that is easy. You just use a jig to fit the spot you will route....

Thanks for the great coments on my work.................