Kl Explorer - First Build.

Damn!!! it looks great!!!!! very clean and nice guitar.

Regading the anglke on the neck pocket you say you have to raise the bridge a lot, why not route a bit on the neck pocket, so the neck sits deeper?or just route the lower part of the heel ( close to neck pickup) and correct the hell angle for the neck...maybe that'll work...

and another question, what did you use to cut such a perfect inlay???? it's so thin and it's circular....regular jeweller's saw?

It's a beautiful guitar man one of the finest builds i've seen here :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Alright! Finished!

36-finished.jpg

Not the best picture, but I guess it will do for now. This turned out to be a really heavy axe, heavier than I would have expected.

I am utterly unhappy with the finish, it dents from a hard look at it, and I had severe problems getting it smooth, it was way harder

than I expected. Next guitar will definitely find it's way to a pro painter, it will be easier, cheaper, faster, and a lot more durable I think.

This dissappointed me to the point of almost giving up on the damn thing, and it was close to jump in the fire...

Now, to the good things:

I have managed to create my first guitar, which I would never thought that I would do.

I am glad that I actually finished it and put the strings on, cause I learnt that IT PLAYS GREAT!

No fret buzzing, intonates great (Better than my two Jacksons), it has great sustain (again compared to the Jacksons),

low action, no noise from the electronics.

All these things make me see through the imperfections that I know are there, and I will have this guitar as a testimony to my feeble start in guitarmaking. I have learnt an enormous amount about guitars, about woodworking, about my own skills, and my patience, and I think that I

am now ready to venture further into the world of lutherie. I have a couple of ideas that I will make a new thread on soon...

The circle is complete, begin another!

I love it man!! looks AWESOME, if i was you, and seeing how much it bother you the finish, why not remove all the finish again and take it to a pro painter??? or are you doing like me and the Rhoads I built and i am waiting to f@@k it up a bit more and refinish it? :D

Other than that...awesome man, just awesome, the most important things on a guitars are playability and sound, and you have both down, congrats man :D

Love the look.

I really enjoy the headstock design and inlay. I've wanted make something like that ever since seeing something similar on one of James Hetfield's explorers.