Kl Explorer - First Build.

Hey here.

I've just started the journey into guitarmaking. I figured an Explorer would be relatively easy to start with, and I simply love the shape.

I'll probabably have thousands of questions as I move along, but at least I have come to a start.

Not too good quality on these pictures, just used my phone in the basement, better quality pictures will come soon.

Here are the specs as I have them:

* Bolt-on neck "ESP EXP" Explorer body shape.

* Mahogany body.

* Mahogany neck.

* 24 3/4 inch scale. 22 medium frets. 44 mm nut width.

* 14 inch fingerboard radius. Graph-tech nut. Ebony truss rod cover

* Ebony fingerboard, as dark black as possible.

* No fretboard markers (except 11-12-13 inlay, as noted below). Side dots.

* "Chaos star" MOP inlay on the 12th fret.

* “KL-style” headstock, at 13 degrees angle.

* Sperzel 3+3 machines, Gotoh T-O-M set.

* All hardware black.

* EMG 85 (neck) + EMG 81 (bridge) . 100% cavity shielding.

* 2 knobs, individual volume controls for each pickup.

* Switchcraft (USA) Toggle switch in the ESP Explorer position.

* Output jack mounted on the side of the guitar.

* Battery for the EMG's mounted in separate box on the rear of the guitar.

Another thing, I probably shoud angle the neck before I cut the shape, right?

Here is the drawing I made attached to the plywood template.

1-drawing.jpg

Finished tracing the drawing onto the template.

http://www.dimensionf3h.com/images/gitarby...late-layout.jpg

Cut the template, and started to sand and finetune it. Pup-holes next up.

http://www.dimensionf3h.com/images/gitarby...te-cutout-1.jpg

Edited by Unrealize

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm unsure about usin Alder for the neck. I don't believe I have read about Alder necks. Anyone who can share some input on this?

Another thing, I probably shoud angle the neck before I cut the shape, right?

Would you happen to have a CAD/PDF copy of the neck ? I'm working on a similar project and haven't had the time the draw out the headstock.

As for cutting the angle - Yes, angle then shape. If you shape first, the dimensions will no longer be correct when you angle it (I assume you're building your neck from one piece instead of using the scarf joint method)

Thanks

:D

:D Yay! I love explorers and can't wait to watch this build. Best of luck to you.

I wouldn't recommend using alder for the neck though. I though of doing that before and searched the site for info. and everyone seems to say that is not strong enough for a neck. But you can find maple for pretty cheap and that is a strong wood for necks...might want to give that a try. :D

Did some more sanding on the template, and cut out the pupholes.

I guess you can see on the picture which one I did first and which I did last.

I have no prior training in using a router, so I think it turned out quite well.

the second hole I routed partly by hand, so I'm happy with that.

4-template-pupholes.jpg

A question on the side here. I don't plan to do too much of an inlay on this guitar, only one at the 12th fret.

But I can't seem to find any information about this, isn't it best to inlay before cutting and radiusing the fingerboard? I mean, since it is hard enough in the first place to cut the inlay, to cut and make it fit frets that are already cut must make it harder than necessary..? Or am I way out here..?

Normally I make templates for all items separately. So.....

A separate template for the body, pups, tremolo. This way you can keep everything nice and neat.

With pup routes you also can get away with just one neatly made pup hole. Just position template on body twice.

MDF is also easier to work with then multiplex.

Normally I make templates for all items separately.

Yeah, I thought of just making new pup templates from the puphole that turned out best.

MDF is also easier to work with then multiplex.

To be honest I have no idea what MDF is, it is not an expression I'm familiar with here in Norway, and I don't know how to translate it...

Now, anyone up for that inlay question...

That worked well for me too. I tapered my ebony, routed the inlay pattern glued the pearl in then slotted it, then added the radius. I sank the pearl very slightly below the top surface of the ebony so it didn't become paper thin at the edges when adding the radius. If your inlay doesn't touch the binding I wouldn't get too worried.

However on reflection I think for my next fretboard I will taper, slot, route and fit the inlays as cutting through the mother of pearl was a real pain as I proved to myself if you rush whilst cutting through it, it cracks and delaminates very easily. (inexperience shining through)

I am a massive Explorer nut too!!!!! Good luck can't wait to see the your grinding appliance complete!!

Chris

MFD is great for building templates. It's cheap, it's easy to work with, sanding and routing is like going through butter.......

Wear protection when working with the stuff as the dust contains nasty formaldehyde resins.

http://www.design-technology.org/mdf.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium-density_fibreboard

http://sres-associated.anu.edu.au/fpt/mdf/manufacture.html

Edited by RGGR

• 3 weeks later...

Alrighty, at least I got a little more done.

I finally got hold of some wood, and I guess I was lucky. I got the idea of recycling wood (ok, not a bright new idea, but hey..).

I was a little afraid that I could buy a table, and then find that it wasn't mahogany all the way through, so I started phoning around to some local furniture makers, and I got hold of a great big slab of mahogany.

All in all I paid like 75$ for it, I guess that is a pretty reasonable price.

Here's the wood:

Mahogany image 1 - pretty neat...

And here's another one of the wood. It is actually big enough for the guitar as a one-piece. No need for glueing this baby...

Mahogany image 2

So, I headed over to a friend of mine who has a proper workshop with proper tools, and he helped me out getting the right thickness and planing the wood. Here he is at the thickness planer, with a nice piece of wood, and some really nice red pants..

Thicknessing by Lorenzo Mad...

Here he is helping out with planing the wood. I'm soo drooling over the tools they got in that workshop, I wish I had such tools, but I'm lucky that he helps me out at least.. :o)

Lorenzo Mad planing the wood..

Then I was homeward bound, and I was eager to try my new bandsaw to cut out the body. I quickly learned that the saw was just as bad as it was cheap, which I feared. It really was a challenge to make it cut straight, and my cutting really doesn't look good at all. I'm almost ashamed to put this picture up, but still, it is the progress I got. At least it is starting to look like an explorer.

Lorenzo helped me to rout the neck pocket with a template he had from an earlier build, that too doesn't really look good at the moment, but it will come through in the end.

9-body-cutout.jpg

So, now I don't get too much done until I get some new router bits, the ones I have isn't large enough. I ordered a couple today, so I hope it won't take too long to get them here. I'm eager to get more work done, but I keep reminding myself not to rush this. I can get some more work done on the neck in the meantime, but I can't get much more done without the router bits anyways...

That's all for now folks.. :D

The lines look very close to dead on except the bottom. A very small amount of sanding with a stationary belt sander or drum sander will clean that up very quickly.

What kind of bandsaw do you have? Did you have the ball-bearings adjusted to where they were against the blade? Were the ball-bearings adjusted to the correct thickness of the wood? Remember, a tool is only as good as the user. :D

I tried to flush trim the body yesterday. and I must say, it was waay harder than what I anticipated.

Perhaps I wasn't as patient as I should have been, but I spent more than an hour routing the thing.

I suffered quite a few chips in the wood, nothing "lethal" I think, but stil, they pulled my moral to the bottom.

So, a question this time, how do I fix those chips. I know that some chips are fixed by routing out more space, and glueing in a new piece, but my chips are not that big.

I was thinking of this substance that one can buy, glue mixed with wood, and then rout or sand this flush to the body after it has cured? Or..?

Or should I use normal wood glue, and use dust from the mahogany I have from the guitar already..?

Thanx, I'll add a few pictures laters...

So, a question this time, how do I fix those chips. I know that some chips are fixed by routing out more space, and glueing in a new piece, but my chips are not that big.

These chips are called tear-outs. Mostly they happen when you are trigger happy and trying to take too much wood off the body with the router at the same time. Search for "tear outs" on this site and you will see tons of information on it. It's everybody's wworst nightmare and really can ruin your day......unfortunately we all had to deal with them.

Rules:

1. Sharp bit (new bit for new project).

2. Shallow passes.

3. Read wood grain and adjust routing direction appropriately.

4. Propper routing speed.

5. Patience....is name of the game. (1 hour for routing complete body is way way fast. I takes me couple of hours, with adjusting router, the wood, the speed, direction, etc....cleaning up, measuring, more routing, etc....

When going for natural finish, you are f*cked. When going for solid color, it just means you have some more filling to do. Any kind of putty (even car repair) will do. Depends bit on paint system your gonna use.

These chips are called tear-outs.

When going for natural finish, you are f*cked. When going for solid color, it just means you have some more filling to do. Any kind of putty (even car repair) will do. Depends bit on paint system your gonna use.

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't aware of the term tear-outs, I'll do some reading about that.

Luckily I was always going for a solid finish, so I am not that bummed. More work, ok, so be it.. :D

Putty is also a term that I'm not familiar with, so I should buy some kind of component, or will it do with just glue and sawdust mixed together..?

It is my first build still, and I have learnt quite a lot already, thanx to everyone who replied to this thread, I really appreciate it...

• 1 month later...

Finally I think I'm back on track again. I got the tearouts clean, I simply sanded them down. Noone of them prooved to be too severe, it looked worse than it was, and I guess I got a little shocked when it happened.

I got a package with all kinds of stuff from StewMac today, got the miterbox and fretsaw, and I have a couple of questions regarding the fingerboard. Firstly, should I taper the board, and then slot it, or should I slot before I do the final shape?

Also, I got the fretscale template to use with the miterbox. I figure I could do without it, but this makes me feel on the safe side when it comes to slotting correctly. BUT I am unsure if the template starts at fret zero or fret one..? It doesn't say in the papers that followed with the templates, so I thought someone here might have some experience to share...

That's all for now, I appreciate any feedback.

Hopefully new pictures will flourish on this thread.. :D

All the best!

Unrealize

A few updates here, firstly, I needed some more wood to fit the headstock, so I glued it on.

Headstock Glue

Now this is my first ever attempt at inlaying. It looks slightly rougher than it is, it will be smoother when I sand and radius the fretboard. It is not as sharp in the edges as I wanted it, but being my first ever attempt, I'm am happy with the result. Probably should have made a simpler design, but this was what I wanted to do.. :D

My first inlay ever

And here I am attempting my first ever fretslotting. I need to work a little more on a couple of the slots, they aren't entirely even, but all in all I think I did a good job with it.

12-fret-slotting.JPG

I have one question regarding my neck. I do not have a bandsaw that is big enough to cut the neck.

I have a jigsaw that I could use, it's just that it has a tendency to bend while I cut, so I'm not comfortable using it. I could use a handsaw, and then use a robosander to do the final touches, but what would you guys recommend..?

Thanks a lot for reading... :D

My first inlay ever

I have one question regarding my neck. I do not have a bandsaw that is big enough to cut the neck.

I have a jigsaw that I could use, it's just that it has a tendency to bend while I cut, so I'm not comfortable using it. I could use a handsaw, and then use a robosander to do the final touches, but what would you guys recommend..?

The inlay does look kind of rough but my first inlay isn't all that great either. I'll be doing some practicing on scrap before I commit to the fretboard. I'm not sure I understand the process you're following. It looks like you routed the fretboard to accept the inlay but do you have the inlay ready?

For the neck, you don't need much clearance to cut to shape right? What is the limitiation?