My First Guitar Project

Here are some Pics of my Ibanez JS copy. I just started with this guitar. I thought it would be a cool project.

DSC01144.jpgDSC01145.jpg

DSC01143-1.jpg

I know its early, but you can really see where is is right now.

the final specs are as followed

Neck Wood: Maple

Fretboard Wood: Rosewood

Body Wood: Aspen (in the willow family, related to poplar, alternative to basswood)

Neck Construction: Bolt-On

Headstock Shape: Ibanez

Tuners: Wilkinson EZ Lok Chrome 6 Inline

Bridge: Speedloader Floyd Rose Lisenced Tremolo Chrome (from Guitar Fetish Store)

Pickups: Mighty Mite Vintage P-90 Pickups

Electronics: 1 Standard 250K Pot (tone)

1 Push/Pull 250K Pot (Volume w/ High Pass Filter)

1 150K Dual Ganged Pot (aka blend Pot) (for selector switch)

1 .1uF Tone Cap

1 .001uF volume Cap (HPF)

Hardware: Chrome

Finish: Chrome (Krylon Original Chrome)

Neck Finish: Tung Oil

Scale: 25 1/2

Fretwire: Medium Jumbo

Inlay: None

Nut: Graphtech Trem Nut

So here you go, feel free to give comments. Preferably positive ones

Joe Singer

Are you planning on installing a truss rod, thinning down the headstock(a la stratocaster), or maybe making some templates anytime soon? I don't like to be overly critical of a first project, as it is a learning experience, but perhaps it's time to slow down the progress and do a little research. This is a positive reply(as your requested), if taken in the right light.

peace,

russ

I get the feeling that you're building this guitar for the sake of gauging your capabilities. Which is.. of course, neither a bad thing or a good thing by in itself; however.. The people who build because they love guitars will have higher motives and stronger incentives because their intrinsicity allows them to do so.

Anyways, I just swung around my sword, but if you aren't standing where I think you are standing, no harm done.

Now, about the project..

I'm guessing you're going to use a preradiused and preslotted fingerboard?

One thing that's bugging me about this project.. Chrome finish. What's your level of expectency? It's hard to do chrome finishes.. Although it's Krylon, it may be easier to use, but you'd be trading off lots of quality.. If this is your first time finishing, that'd be even harder. Just remember, they don't charge those ridulous thousands of dollars for chrome finish on automobiles for nothing.. And even so, it's stability is relatively low too..

i saw some people that made projects on the net that routed for the trussrod after shaping the neck and I plan to borrow a band saw to thin down the headstock very soon. I thke it the asking people to be a little more on the positive end really makes you get gunned at more. I feel that I am doing pretty good with no prior wood working experience at all. The project is still in the early stages anyway. I am only using basic tools anyway. I am not using any high tech tools or expensive power tools to do the project. I really wanted to have a cool project to do while I am writing a book. This is never going to be a job for me, but for that being said I feel that I am not one of these amazing luthiers, but atleast I am better than those who never made a descent effort at it or never tried to begin with. I'm not saying that anybody on the forum is one of those people, but there are many people out there that wouldn't try something because it looks hard or it might not be what exactly they planned to make.

Joe Singer

I was planning to get a preslotted, pre radiused fretboard. I saw a good price for a rosewood one at stewmac.com. I've seen in many places that they seem to be very reputable. About the chrome finish, the way I see it is that if it doesn't really work, I can always refinish it with Tung Oil or something like that. If it works I will definately show you what it looks like. I think it is so far so good.

thanks for your nice reply, I am glad it is atleast getting some views. It gets me a good variety of opinions.

Joe Singer

One big suggestion for the chrome finish: grain fill the wood really well. Then prime it and lay the primer on thick enough to sand level. Then let it sit for a good month or so(more certainly doesn't hurt). This is assuming you're using aeresol primer. Make sure you use a primer that's compatible with your "chrome," as well. Once the primer is dry, wet sand it until it's smooth, to upwards of 1000 grit. Any sanding scratches left in the primer will most likely become painfully obvious when you spray the chrome. Now, if you know what's good for you, you'll let the primer sit some more just to make sure it's fully settled. If it sinks into any pores, resand it. Once you've got a nice smooth primer coat on there, spray your chrome and then clear soon afterwards. Your chrome's appearence will only be as good as your preperation. The clear will need to sit at least a month(again, perhaps more, it's hard to say with certainty) before you wet sand it.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

thank you very much for the suggestion. I will do that and hopefully it will come out very nice. Since I'm not in any rush, I can easily wait as long as I want to. If it turns out like I hope or even better, then I will give you 100% of the credit on the finish. any suggestions on buffing it (ie what buffing compounds would you use on a metallic finish)?

Joe Singer

Well, you won't want to buff out the chrome base. I have a feeling that wouldn't work out so well. You really don't want to do anything to the chrome other than spray it on(that's why the primer's gotta be perfect). This is why you spray the clear coat, to protect the chrome base and so that you can level and buff your finish. Now, read the cans before you sand or buff the finishes, because sometimes these aeresol sprays don't take too kindly to being buffed out(often because they don't cure hard enough or are too suseptable to become soft when heated from buffing friction). Assuming you can sand and buff, you'll want to probably start at about 1000grit(coarser if you've got a lot of orange peel or dry mix etc), then go to 1500, and then to 2000. Then you'll probably want to hit it with a medium grit compound(check the grit on the bottle, you'll want something finer than 2000, obviously), then a fine compound, and then some buffing wax. This is all a very, very generalized description of finishing. Some elements vary from finish to finish and you can do a little research to find out the ins and outs. Your primary concern should be getting a level, smooth surface for that chrome base to lay down on.

peace,

russ

Looks pretty cool so far, don't worry about your first project, I am currently "trying to start my first build" and as my friend at work always says "The impossible only takes a little longer" :D Keep us posted and good luck.

It looks like you are off and running. It is cool that you did take on the neck right out of the shoot. Cheers :D .

Some comment;

Aspen is an extreamly soft wood (even softer than Basswood). Given that you want to try a chrome finish. I would really recommend that you take extra care not to ding the body during construction. Be very cautious when placing it on hard surfaces(be the surface is clean and flat). Use soft material to protect surfaces that you are not working on. I take these kind of precautions with my soundboards.

You are going to find that the neck construction is going to be made more complicated because of the order you are working in. It will also be harder to keep things straight and use jigs. No harm :D . Just keep in mind that next time you can make the job a lot less difficult by changing the order that you go through the process. If for some reason something goes wrong on this one. Take a look at how other guys go about the process and use your experience with this one to understand what order will work better for you.

Good Luck!

Rich

wow

i dunno if its just the photo, but to tell the truth, that looks like you did it with a spoon...

are you going to clean that up at all? :D

Ok cool

Do you have a router??

A router and template will make your life a lot easier.

It will probably be faster and produce a better final result.

no I don't have a router right now. I was doing the cutting with a rotary tool. I takes longer but it seems to be working pretty good. It also allows me to use a little more precision, which is very important to me, because I am a novice and then some at this.

A router and template will give you far more precision than whatever the hell kind of rotary tool that made those craters will.