Wood Choice

OK...a few questions.

1) Why?

2) Define 'exotic'

3) What kind of instrument are you planning on building?

4) What do you want out of it/what do you like/dislike?

5) Define 'sound great'

The right amp and the right pickups will get you about 30% of the way there, another 50% is going to be your ability as a guitarist. Somewhere in the remaineder is build quality, construction, workmanship, and wood selection.

• 5 months later...

Its amazing what some may consider "exotic" as basically out of reach, ie. grows like weeds in some other country but not here. I live on southern tip of Vancouver Island, everywhere you look is Douglas fir and Western red cedar. Also lots of bigleaf maple as well as sitka and englemann spruce, all guitar woods. So who in this forum would consider those as exotics? I know we have 2 species that only grow here and no where else in the world. I guess one could be considered "exotic" in that sense. Garry Oak (not a good guitar wood) and arbutus. I'm interested in checking out some arbutus one day. The tree grows with lots of twists and curves but still gets pretty big. I'm also making use of some holly from a log I was given a few years ago. Its hard to cure this wood but once its stable should have good neck applications, straight grained and clean looking if you can find big enough pieces without knots. But its density and hardness are on a par with hardrock maple.

Funny that you ask Soupa. I personally don't consider Douglas fir, Western red cedar, bigleaf maple, sitka, englemann spruce as Exotics as they grow here also(course I am just due south of you in Oregon). We have Oregon Myrtle, Port Orford Cedar, Claro Walnut, Madrone that some may consider Exotic(probably just depends on where you are from).

Exotic to me is wood like Snakewood, Pink Ivory, Australian Tiger Myrtle, Amboya Burl and so forth. Not woods that are commercially viable for production offerings due to the small yeild of the trees, difficulty of drying, limited range, unique striking features.

Peace,Rich

Oh, I also forgot about Red Alder. You can look at aerial photographs of places that have been logged and then grown over years later and see these lighter colored star-shaped patterns among all the darker Doug. fir and red cedar. Those are old skid trails they used for hauling / dragging fresh cut logs to loading areas. The ground gets extremely compacted and the only tree that readily grows in those areas is Alnus rubra.

Bloodwood, Purple Heart, Wenge . . . stiff, strong, stable, easy to glue, easy to find, and pretty cool names.

Bubinga is also stable, stiff and strong, but it is much harder to glue. It makes up for that with amazingly pretty figure. I'm using some on a jewelery box project for my wife right now.

All of those are pretty dark though. I'd add some maple for contrast.

I think you should pick up some wood over there and bring it back. Olivewood is beautiful. Maybe you can get some and use it for inlays? ? ?

Todd

PS) This site is ok for getting some info on wood properties:

http://www.exotichardwoods-southamerica.com/bloodwood.htm

Sapele is a favorite of mine. It has great general properties for building, supply is solid, Figuring from quilt to pomelle to flame and striped is not uncommon, its color ranges from a tan to bronze/copper(some pieces have variations that remind me of Koa), and it has a great flashy reflectance that adds depth. Because its availablility is high and size of trees is large you can get great cuts and it is definately a reasonably priced wood(as hardwoods go). Pau Ferro is another wood that really has some knock out charictoristics, and is reasonably priced and availble. There are certainly some great woods available to build with.

Gotta Love that Sapele with a dash of Snakewood!

Finish1.jpg

Peace,Rich