Installing A Floyd On A Lp Type

Hey folks,

I had a thought...and let me preface by saying NO, I AM NOT ADVOCATING TAKING A ROUTER TO A GIBSON LES PAUL... :D

I'm curious if anyone has built a les paul (or similarly carved top guitar with 1 3/4" body with an additional 1/2" of carve or so)....with a floyd rose.

Any considerations here? I assume that the spring cavity has to actually be routed deeper than normal, given the fact that the bridge will be higher than the normally expected 1 3/4" from the back of the guitar?

Thanks,

Frank

There's usually so many complications with the setup of a Floyd on a Les Paul that most people just used Kahlers instead. Yes, the cavity is deeper and you'll have to get the height and angle of the bridge just right to match the neck angle, too. Look up the Les Paul/Neal Schon Signature and you'll get a better idea of the overall look.

the best way to do it is to recess the floyd into the body. this will take care of the issues with the neck angle. you could also build it thinner like gibson did with the les paul lite and custom lite guitars. these were available with floyds from the factory. i've got a standard lite and it is a backsaver!

+1 on the Kahler - they make a model that is designed for carved tops.

the best way to do it is to recess the floyd into the body. this will take care of the issues with the neck angle. you could also build it thinner like gibson did with the les paul lite and custom lite guitars. these were available with floyds from the factory. i've got a standard lite and it is a backsaver!

Do you have an idea of what you are talking about, because I don't think so!!! The LP TOM is so high above the body that a Floyd will be ridiculously high and you will actualy have to bring the angle down to have the block were you need it.

I have seen many LPs with trems, but almost all copies, and one Epi goth with floyd, and they look a bit different from the side, but never played one, so I can't comment if there is any real difference on them

Unfurtunatly, the ones that were made had a lot of trouble with the springs and carriage binding!!! And the one that was suppossed to be out about 2 years ago...... well, we are still waiting!!!!

I talked with a tech at FR about 1yr ago, and he said that it was still on halt, so don't hold your breath for one!

have you considered a stetsbar trem? They sell a model that mounts to an LP's studs. I have an OEM model on one of my guitars and I like it a lot. It's got the range of a strat trem though, not so much that of a floyd(at least I couldn't attest to it, having never played a floyd and what not).

peace,

russ

I had a thought...and let me preface by saying NO, I AM NOT ADVOCATING TAKING A ROUTER TO A GIBSON LES PAUL... :D

:D what like this?

That's a good lookin' Custom...

You know, I'm not big on any kind of trem on a Les Paul because *I* like the look and feel of the guitar unmodified. However, if you can do it CLEANLY, which admittedly would be very difficult for a newb to woodworking in general, it could look very nice.

This is one of those projects where you should really have a lot of practice and a lot of patience before you try it. Hacking up a Studio is one thing, hacking up even a Standard is quite another.

BTW, most modern weight-reduced LPs shouldn't have a noticeable difference in tone with the loss of the wood because they already take a lot out in the reduction process.

Take a look at the Kahlers if you're serious, though. They are a great trem and incredibly stable, plus you can buy them new again. One square hole in the top versus a whole Fender trem cavity is a lot less to deal with!

Do you have an idea of what you are talking about, because I don't think so!!! The LP TOM is so high above the body that a Floyd will be ridiculously high and you will actualy have to bring the angle down to have the block were you need it.

I have seen many LPs with trems, but almost all copies, and one Epi goth with floyd, and they look a bit different from the side, but never played one, so I can't comment if there is any real difference on them

wow, no reason to be a dick, especially since you're a moderator. you could also reread the post and see that i'm talking about building it from scratch. send me a pm if you have a problem.

wow, no reason to be a dick, especially since you're a moderator. you could also reread the post and see that i'm talking about building it from scratch. send me a pm if you have a problem.

PMed. And why didn't you take it into PM from the begining?

you saw fit to attack me here, so i replied. you pm has been returned.

First of all, that was not a personal attack, you say to recess the floyd to take care of the neck angle when in fact by recessing the floyd with an LP carve top you will have to modify the top carve to a "PRS" type carve (kinda flat top carve)same like Carvin california custom...

If you felt that this was an attack, well sorry, but I didn't think so!

• 2 weeks later...

The folks suggesting a Kahler have an idea worth considering. Are you admant about the floyd? I had a Les Paul back in the 80s which I had a kahler installed on and it worked great. I also had a BC Rich which came with a kahler stock. They both worked real well. I thought they stayed in tune a little better than the floyds which were available at the time, too. I had a floyd rose installed on an Ibanez strat copy (there was already a spring cavity, so I figured what the heck, seems like less trouble. The floyd was a little stiffer, but I liked it too. All things being equal, the fact that there'd be a lot less routing to install a stud-mounted kahler makes it seem like an obvious alternative. :D

Edited by palecriminal