Scarf Joint Vs Bandsaw Cutting The Angle

I am laminating three pieces of wood for my neck thru guitar and I need some advice. I have enough wood to cut out the headstock angle at 13 degrees on a band saw (as in i would just cut out the entire neck profile as one piece without a scarf joint), but my question is would it be a better idea to just do a scarf joint?

do u have a table saw or access to a table saw?

Hell, if the blank is thick enough to cut the angle into, then just go ahead and rip it in half and voila, you have now two neck blanks :D

Then scarf each roughly with a bandsaw cut, and then build a scarf planning router jig (it's been discussed on the forum SEVERAL times). And yes, scarf necks are GENERALLY stronger than cutting the angle into a thick piece. And hell, if you can't figure out the scarf jig... send both necks to me rough scarfed and I'll plane them on the jig and send you back one (other as commission whoahhahahahah... I'm sitting in business class so I have to think like that lol). Either way, you'd still end up with the one neck you'd need, and at no loss compared to how you were going to cut the angle into it.

Chris

I've read all over that they're stronger because they have less end grain. Cause on a scarf the headstock is all straight grain, whereas on an angled cut headstock, you've got tons of run out/end grain showing. That said, I personally don't think it's a big deal, I've made both types. However, I'm partial to scarfs cause they use less wood, and have less waste.

Chris

I've read all over that they're stronger because they have less end grain. Cause on a scarf the headstock is all straight grain, whereas on an angled cut headstock, you've got tons of run out/end grain showing. That said, I personally don't think it's a big deal, I've made both types. However, I'm partial to scarfs cause they use less wood, and have less waste.

Chris

Endgrain is not really the issue. Runnout would be the issue. There would be a very significant difference. If you imagine flatsawn wood grain is paralell to the headstock surface, and thus cutting at an angle exposes a significant amount of runnout. On the other hand Quartersawn wood is perpendicular to the headstock surface, and thus there is very little runnout. It has much more to do with orientation vs strength in this case(and bear with me I still say quartersawn and flatsawn are very similar in strength). If you had a flatsawn neck a scarf joint is a really good idea. If it is quartersawn I believe you are just adding a glue joint(which is perfectly fine as long as it is exicuted well.

I say endgrain is not the strength issue. However endgrain is a potential issue if we are talking about achiving a strong glue joint.

Peace,Rich

Endgrain is not really the issue. Runnout would be the issue. There would be a very significant difference. If you imagine flatsawn wood grain is paralell to the headstock surface, and thus cutting at an angle exposes a significant amount of runnout. On the other hand Quartersawn wood is perpendicular to the headstock surface, and thus there is very little runnout. It has much more to do with orientation vs strength in this case(and bear with me I still say quartersawn and flatsawn are very similar in strength). If you had a flatsawn neck a scarf joint is a really good idea. If it is quartersawn I believe you are just adding a glue joint(which is perfectly fine as long as it is exicuted well.

breaking a piece of wood that is cut at an angle is easy regardless of whether the board was from a quartersawn vs flatsawn piece.

Just try it, you'll see. The problem is due to the fact that the wood break along the grain. Again, try it. Flatsawn vs quartersawn makes no difference.

I just *think* that Chris mean grain run out when he is referring to end grain. :D

But I agree with rich, setch and everybody else. Have a look at most Gibsons. They are cut from a solid piece of wood. It is not an unusual job for any repair shop to get Gibsons with broken off heads. These are always broken off along the grain lines, often starting at the extended back of the neck (you have to try to visualize this) and going straight thru to the face of the head *along the grain line*. I have never seen that type of problem with a laminated head.

But what I have seen is delaminating glue joints, where the head is more or less coming loose. I have actually had that happen to myself a long time ago, but that was before I learned to make nice scarf joints.

So if you are confident in your own scarf joint ability (or make a scarf joint jig, do a search for it here), by all means do as Chris suggest and split the board into half and make two necks out of it. If you are in any doubt that you will make a scarf joint carve a one-piece neck.