Simo's Six String Bass

Simo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's looking really good Simo. Interesting placement of the truss rod access hole. Is that commonly done?

Thanks :D I suppose it's not that common but I've seen a fair few bass builders that use the same method.

Did you get all the wood from Gallery Hardwoods?

No just the fretboard, the body and neck laminates were from SoundAt11.

• 4 weeks later...

Your bass looks gorgeous, awesome handy work bro. Does your neck go all the way to the pickup cavity? I can't wait to see this piece of artwork completed!

Yes, the neck pocket goes all the way to the pickup cavity. There's no heal section to the body so the pocket needed to go quite deep into the body.

I was hoping the bass would be a little further along by now, but I've had a severe bout of Sinusitis over the last few weeks, so sawdust is the last thing I want to be around at the moment :D

Hey Simo, I saw your your name for a new thread and just had to look, you and Prostheta are probably my favorite builders, always clean work :-)

I'd completely forgotten about that Mahogany and the neck blank, but it's awesome to see them put to good use. That Ziracote is insane, like Walnut but way cooler looking, it's a good color match for the neck and body.

• 2 months later...
Thanks Will :D

Only a quick update I'm afraid... work is more or less finished on the neck shaping, I'll be doing the fret work later this week.

neckshape1.JPG

looks like a bigger version of the guitar im working on. similar idea with the shape and the deep heel. being a guitar i will be putting my neck pup on the neck itself, as it is closer to the neck. im not nearly as far along as you as ive had a busy semester at uni. here is the body only, havent done much other than working on the inlay on the fretboard.my walnut body

i would be estatic if mine ended up as clean as yours.

Excellent work Simo - hope your sinuses aren't permanantly sensitised from wood dust or anything!

I bet you're itching (*no joke intended*) to get it strung up for the first time....what nut material have you settled on?

Luckily I seem to be ok with wood dust, which is a big relief! although I try and avoid mdf, etc as much as possible. As for the nut... I was going to use Graphite but I'm thinking about making my own from Ebony now.

Edited by Simo

• 1 month later...

You'd better make a mistake somewhere along the line soon Simo else i'm going to have to burglarise your house and look for your bass :-)

Put some EMGs in it before I do this, and PM me first of course!

On a different note, i've got an interesting deal for UKGB regs in terms of wood sourcing....will post more there as this isn't the thread for it of course! Keep up the wood gerk.

Edited by Prostheta

• 3 months later...

I've not done a great deal of work since the last update... after putting in the silver tube side dots (I'll take pic's of them next time I have my camera out) I decided to string her up to see how it played before finishing... and it's good, in fact it played so nicely I kept it strung up and have been playing it like this for nearly 2 weeks :D but it's time to tear it apart now and get starting with the final sanding and finishing.

strungup.jpg

Thats looking really great!

Flawless work so far.