Large Heel (prs) Equals No Dead Spots?

I was wondering why a PRS has that huge heel (http://www.edromanguitars.com/resources/images/heelhell.jpg)?

I read somewhere that it was to reduce the chance of any dead spots up the fretboard. Could this be true? If it is does anyone know the theory behind it?

So if true, a heel-less neck could possibly be more suseptable to dead spots? And if so is this possibly why Zachary guitars has this http://www.zacharyguitars.com/170606_30.JPG instead of just this http://www.iwantguitars.com/imagedb/jet_21...7-950x331-1.jpg?

Thanks!!

The longer and less supported a neck is, the greater the chance of it having deadspots. You can also minimise the risk of dead spots by building in stiffness to the neck, either by laminating it from several stiff woods, or by using carbon fibre bars alongsie the trussrod.

Are those zachary guitars half as good as he claims them to be?

No, the demo video someone posted round here a while back was ridiculously bad, the thing wouldn't stay in tune, was laughable.

Most of his philosophies are ridiculous unscientific crap at best.

I was just pissed of reading all the crap he wrote on the site...and how if you're a doctor/lawyer you don't deserve his guitars...Or if you've got any physical disabilities....or if you don't prefer a tube amp.

Just watched some video of a guy playing pretty much the same thing for like 6 minutes...with some very crappy use of the trem

No, the demo video someone posted round here a while back was ridiculously bad, the thing wouldn't stay in tune, was laughable.

I was just pissed of reading all the crap he wrote on the site...and how if you're a doctor/lawyer you don't deserve his guitars...Or if you've got any physical disabilities....or if you don't prefer a tube amp.

Just watched some video of a guy playing pretty much the same thing for like 6 minutes...with some very crappy use of the trem

Wow I just checked out that site. That has to be the ugliest headstock I have ever seen. Not to mention the guy is a total ass. One of his ugly headstock guitars is not worthy of hanging on my wall. (let alone it wont hang). Or sitting in the street if front of my house. (I live on a highway). :D I have a disabilty,(kinda deaf from standing in front of my Marshall too much, not kidding) so what, I can play pretty good, and I wouldn't have one of those things if you paid me to take it. (Rant off)

Wow I just checked out that site. That has to be the ugliest headstock I have ever seen. Not to mention the guy is a total ass. One of his ugly headstock guitars is not worthy of hanging on my wall. (let alone it wont hang). Or sitting in the street if front of my house. (I live on a highway). :D I have a disabilty,(kinda deaf from standing in front of my Marshall too much, not kidding) so what, I can play pretty good, and I wouldn't have one of those things if you paid me to take it. (Rant off)

Don't worry....you don't deserve it... :D

The longer and less supported a neck is, the greater the chance of it having deadspots. You can also minimise the risk of dead spots by building in stiffness to the neck, either by laminating it from several stiff woods, or by using carbon fibre bars alongsie the trussrod.

Hahaha. As always Setch - how much more concise and to the point can you get?! :-D

Damn, you killed the whole debating thing man.

+1.

the guy is a tosser. i notice he "quotes" mattia and russ on his main page, wonder if those guys know??

i for one wouldn't buy a guitar from someone who can't even drill straight for a string through.

cheers

darren

+1.

the guy is a tosser. i notice he "quotes" mattia and russ on his main page, wonder if those guys know??

i for one wouldn't buy a guitar from someone who can't even drill straight for a string through.

cheers

darren

Yeah they know, there was a massive thread about this guy not too long ago. General consensus then was that it was all tone voodoo. I really hope this thread dies soon, he's really not worth the posts.

oh wow. I'd stumbled across some of his pics before & thought that they looked quite nice...stuck in the 80's but ok if you like that sort of thing. But I just checked out his site & WOW!....he's got some serious attitude issues.

Why would anyone have a business website riddled with negative comments?...it just doesn't make sense, he obviously thinks that it shows how confident he is but it really doesn't. It's like the pleas of an insecure person talking through a big toothy grin....I can picture him now scanning through google for any reference to his name..."as long as people are talking about me I'm doing a good job!"

What a sad little man

:D

Whoa, I did think twice about posting the Zachary pic but I thought he might have been onto something because if I remember correctly, what I read said the prs heel was supposed to prevent dead spots high up on the neck and was wondering why he had that scoopy piece when he could've just had major access (if that makes sense!).

Anyways, thanks Setch :D

As for Zachary guitars, my jury is still mostly out. I think his string tension idea is great and his fretwork looks excellent but there are a few things that even I, not experienced hardly at all, kind of question.