Neckthrough Flying V / Dv8

Wow, excellent job! Looks like everything came out as planned; I wish I could say the same for my project, but live and learn, eh?

I notice the nut isn't carved. It took me a second glance, as when I first saw it, I said "Man, that nut looks pretty funny." :D

The only thing I would have done is put a logo on the headstock. It's just my own personal preference, and I'm working on sketching out a small design for the truss rod cover on my project. Other than those two remarks, though, everything came out great! Good luck on the rest.

Thanks eddie, I think my background as a sculptor helped me in this business. I learned a while ago to use machines and tools, but everyday I learned something new about luthiery and construction. I specially try to put attention to the little details that make a good guitar a great one, not that I'm close to it really

I didn't paint it by myself, I don't have all the equipment yet so I rely on a friend, and as I said I'm learning all I can so when I have to do it by myself I can do a good job.

Hey Xanthus, you are very perceptive aren't you? :D Yes, the nut isn't carved yet, yesterday my brother bought some strings and I'm going to carve it today I guess. This will be a challenge since I have never carved a graphite nut, any advice from any of you??

And about the logo, I thought about putting a little carved piece of metal as seen on the Zemaitis guitars, that way I can do something special because I always loved the engraved logo he put on his guitars. Being an artist I can do etching and engraving because I learned a while ago some printing techniques back in my university days.

And one last thing, does anybody know a string spacing ruler on the internet? I really don't feel like paying StewMac for their ruler. It's not that I don't order from them, but I remember seeing a string spacer ruler somewhere, does anybody remember? Or anybody know how to do string spacing properly?

Many thanks, cheers

Alberto

Wow, that was fast Garth! thanks a lot, now I can work without guessing, now I'm happy :D

Well if you don't mind now I will start to finish this guitar, i hope you can see it finish really soon,

oh and does anybody have any advice on working with graphite nuts? cheers

Alberto

• 7 months later...

Well I finished this one also, it's been a while I now.

About a month ago this one was finished and let me tell you it's awesome. I'm really proud of this one. Like the neckthrough SG (http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=31878) it has a lot of sustain and rich tones. I think the sustain comes from the fact that is neckthrough and the strings go through the body. The hardware is black, Seymour Duncan sh1 and sh4, the jack is placed on the upper horn and the location is very smart.

My brother is very happy, we could believe how much it rings without even be plugged. And it's as mean guitar you know :D

Here are some pics:

dva7.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27263073@N00/...57594411756928/

and the rest of the set, including some of the construction:

Hope you like this one, I'm very happy with how it came at the end, cheers

Alberto

The paint is polyester as on all of my guitars, the finish is hard and it is very glossy. You need a good polisher to achieve that kind of gloss. And black is very difficult to achieve I guess because it's not very much forgiving, it tends to show little things that you don't see when the sealer is applied. But if you are careful you will not have much trouble.

I've been investigating about alternative finish but I haven't find another one that could be as hard as polyester, what is auto grade?

Thanks for your words, and Eddie I'm looking forward to see your guitar

cheers

Alberto

I use auto grade paint, but it doesn't cure that hard :D the points on my RR are chipped already...and polyester paint here is EXPENSIVE as hell....lovely guitar Alberto :D

well what kind of auto paint did you use? all auto paint ive used cures harder than most stuff on the market. especially urathane. the only auto paint that isnt as hard is enamel.

Thanks eddywarlock for your words, I didn't knew that poliester was that expensive, here it costs very much like polyurethane and automotive paint, the only catch is that you need the be careful with your paint gun since it uses a hardening component.

I agree with Maiden69, I recently was choosen a finish for a project and the Dupont paint was really fab, the only think ands correct me if I'm wrong is that the seller told me it was better if you but the finish in an oven to harden it faster (30 min instead of several days) but I don't knowe if you can do that with a guitar....

Zyonsdream you're right, it really is hard to paint anything with black, but with practice you can achieve good results.

Many thanks guys, cheers

Alberto

The Dupont will dry in 45 minutes in an oven at 135... don't quote me I got my cans outside and I'm going by what I remember, or cured withing 24hrs at air. All I have painted with them is my motorcycle for now. And I have mounted the parts the next day after about 18hrs cure time. And if you lay it nice, you don't have to wetsand and buff.

DSC03633.jpg

this is the finished part with 2 coats med-heavy of clear and it dried just like that with no shrinking.

I think that once you have a nice base or sealed stain job, the clear should go as nice over the wood.