Usa Jackson Soloist

westhemann

so..as many of you know...i have alot of gear,and some of it i never use because it aint quite up to my new snob standards.

so i loaded it all up(all the "b" grade stuff..) and took it in to guitar center...just to give you an idea of the breadth of my collection...i recieved $1750 in store credit for all of this gear i don't consider worth keeping...and they jipped me good because in reality it was worth much more..but that is how the business goes...ironically...the guitar they drooled the most over was a gibson explorer...and in my estimation that thing was pretty subpar...but i got almost as much as i paid for it...even as heavily as it was used...but every guiitar i took in was better than 99% of their stuff

so what did i get for my money?oh that's right,you already read the title...jackson usa soloist

go to the jackson site if you want the specs on it...it is a usa select series sl2..in black

this was the floor model so they knocked off some cash to make up for the slight belt rash...

the quality of the guitar?stellar...absolutely hands down the best feeling/sounding guitar i have ever played...now don't gt me wrong..my custom kxk v is just as nice..but it is a custom...and the jackson is production..(usa though)

so $1500 i paid for this jackson...but nothing out of pocket..in my mind i just traded a bunch of crap i never used for something i can REALLY enjoy.

so now i have 2 guitar brands i can heartily reccomend...usa jackson and kxk...both well worth the money

by the way the cover plates on the jackson usa's are metal..not plastic...i think that's damn cool

and i never even liked jackson..

Jackson, and PRS, are the only guitars i ever buy. I just havent come across a PRS for the right price yet. I bought a USA Rhoads in Erie Dess swirl the other day, for korean Jackson money, that was the same guitar in the local guitar store 15 years ago that i dreamed of owning. Funny how it took 15 years to get to me, and cost the same as the import i purchased instead (cause i couldnt afford the REAL one at the time).

yeah...i had an import sl3..now don't get me wrong,the sl3 was probablythe finest quality korean guitar i have ever had..but this usa model is sweeet...

so as soon as i got home i put new strings on this bad boy and put a REAL setup on it(what is wrong with guitar center?those guysdon't know dick about setting up guitars...)they had the floyd tilted back,the action too high,and some doofus had managed to pull a bridge inset partially out,and these goofballs didn't even know enough to push it back in...

the insert is into alder,so i pulled it out the rest of the way and slipped a little glue in there to make sure it had a little something to grip against.

so i adjustd the truss rod a bit,got the neck straight as can be,and dropped the action quite a bit..set it up with 9s...this thing plays so absolutely easy it's unreal...my touch is waaay too heavy from all these imports i had..but i couldn't stop playing it until my hands started to not mind me anymore...this guitar plays and sounds so good it's unbelieveable...the sharkfin inlays have no visible glueline at all..i took the cavity covers off for inspection and the wiring is very nice and there are no screwholes blown out of the sidewall like you find so often with cheaper guitars..

to top it off...the guy at the store seemed to think it was set up the best it could be...maybe he was the one who set it upthat way...because when i told him it needed a proper setup in the worst way,he actually said "good luck fixing that thing."..he told me if i couldn't fix it to bring it back...

but maybe i misunderstood him....he did seem distracted by the little blond pixie at the door

by the way...i also tried out the new peavey jsx amp(satriani sig) while i was there...it frekin ROCKS!!more gain and bottom end on the ultra channel than you could ever need...and all of the eq knobs are tuned just right...you can get any sound you want just with those round knobs...it is simply an amazing amp...all tube as well...i am thinking of trading in the mode 4

i hear you,perry...and i agree..but you would probably be surprised at the sound i get from mine..

i don't use the in-amp gain...i set it up for crystal clean and then i use a boss metal zone(i used to use a zoom driver but they don't make thewm anymore) and i tweak everything until i am satisfied...

it does sound extremely good the way i have it rigged...BUT the jsx simply blows the entire rig away straight out of the box....plus my mode 4 crackles when i turn it up above about 100 decibals...really bugs the (oops!...i mean crap) out of me.

i am going to get that jsx and run it through my stack of marshall 1960 vintage cabs...i have ben wanting to simplify my rig and get a more natural tone for a whilenow...but nothing really tripped my trigger til now.

for $1200 or thereabouts,that head is a steal

i'm tellin ya,give that jsx a test drive.that thing is nothing but high gain tone...very,very nice..and inexpensive.

we all know peavey amps last forever...i'm just glad they finally started caring about what they sound like..

remember those peavycombo amps from the 70s and 80ds...uuuugggghhh

yes..it is possible.

would you like to go through and count them?

what would really bake your noodle is if you knew how many p.m's i sent in my time here...if they were counted i would be up around 30,000

some nights all i did was send p.m's back and forth with those crazy netherland sheepherders..:D

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?act=Stats

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...sort_order=desc

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showuser=186

the bad part is i still type with one hand

yes..it is possible.

would you like to go through and count them?

what would really bake your noodle is if you knew how many p.m's i sent in my time here...if they were counted i would be up around 30,000

some nights all i did was send p.m's back and forth with those crazy netherland sheepherders..:D

the bad part is i still type with one hand

I don't know what I missed about Wes the most...his insatiable ego or his ability to brag about it.

All that and he STILL managed to build 1,000 guitars with the other hand and bed more women than Gene Simmons and Wilt Chamberlain combined. Bravo, dear brother, bravo!

Edited by crafty

actually on the guitar building and woman bedding i have been pretty slack lately...if it was not for your sister my sex life would be nonexistant... :D

Hahahaha.

"5.21% of total forum posts" I think I am up to .45% or something.

Edited by Nitefly SA

crafty...if that is true and you are not just teasing me,then i apologise.

i have 2 sisters...one has cancer and just underwent a marrow transplant,the other is a heroin addict..so i guess things are bad all the way around in the sister department.

No, dude, I was just teasing. It's usually the first thing that pops out when someone says something like that about my sister. She's alive and well, although did have a cancer scare too a few years back. On a more serious note, hope your's does okay with the treatment. That's an all or nothing shot, there, bro.

Let's just end it here. :D