Ibanez Production 8-string

Mattia

For all you loony folks who like/want 8-string guitars, looks like Ibanez is releasing one. Complete with floyd:

http://ibanez.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4151

Pic:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/images/2006/P100013.JPG

Can't pretend to really understand the why of this, or even be remotely interested in one myself, but I figured it was worth a mention, if only for a shot of the batsh** crazy floyd/edge/whatever...

The production guitar does not have a Floyd. It will have the FXEdge8 trem (as in the picture), which is a locking, fixed bridge with fine tuners. It will have EMG pickups. The color is reported to be a grey-ish black (big suprise). The picture you have there is a custom-shop guitar for an endorsee from last year's NAMM show. The new one will be the same specs, except for color pretty much.

Bet it will be a nice guitar. Problem I have with it is it's timing. I my book this guitar comes 2-3 years too late.

Where was Ibanez during the 7-string Nu-metal craze.....at that time they ownened the 7-string category and could have upped the stakes by bringing out the 8 stringer, proving they were THE innovative company (they used to be). Instead they waited and waited and waited......and currently I don't see the point.

I'm huge Ibanez fan, but current line of new guitars just doesn't do it for me. Bring back the 80s-man. Just look at www.ibanez87.it and druil.

Edited by Maiden69

they are still more innovative than most.look at the quality of their trems and the quality of the infiniti pickups...the zr trem is brilliant...

the reason 8 stringers are so late coming is that most people will never use them.you need exceptionally large hands to play them without hurting yourself(i have long fingers but a 7 string is still painful)and if you listen to meshuggah they really don't do but the most simple rythms on those top strings...it's all just easy,easy stuff since they went to the 8 string.

there are ALOT of guys who can play the 7 string very well...8 string is too low...it sounds like mud(i know...heresy...just my opinion)

this in no way takes away from meshuggah...i have almost all their music and i think they are great...but the world does not need more exactly like them

i could be wrong.i would like to hear some good 8 string music in the future..i just don't see it happening for the same reason the 8 string bass never took off

i just hope kids don't get tendonitis from the wierd playing position it takes to use a neck that wide...and then have to give up

Oh Wes, I could list so many 8-string+ bass players. (Me included, soon enough) :D My hands are very average, if not smaller than average. I play a 6-string bass with complete ease and have absolutely no hand problems. As playing larger instruments is 90% mental, 10% physical. You aren't going to find something comfortable that you do not want to play. I would also like to add that play-style is a very important variable in the forementioned. Those that only stay in the low-end (typical E-A string player) are going to find anything with more range completely pointless and asinine. Play-styles will vary. Those who study a great deal of classical, specifically work arranged for pianos with a range of multiple octaves, will find a 4-string bass very limiting. Look up Jean Baudin or Garry Goodman for fine examples of extended range. And hey, play-styles will vary.

You want some awesome 8-string music? Look up Rusty Cooley's new CD, with Outworld.

it could really just be me anyway because i do overuse my hands at work...but i just worry about people putting their hands into awkward positions and ending up with wrist and tendon issues...so many guitarists do already just on the 6 string.

if you can do it comfortably,more power to you...i just really can't see it.

they are still more innovative than most.look at the quality of their trems and the quality of the infiniti pickups...the zr trem is brilliant...

No question about the quality of their trems (Edge, Lo Pro Edge, Edge Pro), but if I compare the number of awesome guitars they brought out in the 80s......and compare it with today......it's just no comparison. And I know, back in the days they were establishing a name for them selves, when Fender was the big fish to catch........innovation was the name of the game. Currently it seems too much like milking the brand. ZR trem is nice, HR Giger theme guitars are okay, puzzle guitars are nice.....but rest is bit stale. With their 7 string line-up dead in the water......I still don't get this 8 string move. It just doesn't make sense.

have you looked at the prestigeneck thru series?...if i remember right about 3 or 4 years ago ibanez started the 5 piece multi lam maple and walnut necks(first to do it i think in production line guitars)and now everyone is starting to follow the trend.

of all the major manufacturers,ibanez seems to be the only one who pays attention to how the small time hobbyists are doing it and they really seem to try to be in the forefront.i no longer really buy much in the way of ibanez,but they still really impress me with the qc

now if they would only start with the emg already

do you chord much?because changing chord fingerings all of the time is where the 7 string kills me.

alot of bassists do not chord.

and rusty cooley has exceptionally large hands along the line of steve vai

2 hand tapping is chording, I do it quite often. I often have more than a 5 inch stretch on the fingerboard for the work I do.

I think Ibanez is taking a big risk releasing a production 8 string. It's going to be a niche market for the players that are interested but they're going ahead with it anyways.

As for having small fingers and using an 8, I have pretty small hands - the wide neck of an 8 isn't that bad!

I'll probably buy one of these new Ibanez 8's, just because i'm an Ibanez slut.