See My Wood...

That's a gorgeous piece of wood.

...but unfortunately, you're gonna have to sit on it for at least a year, two would be better, three would be even better yet.

I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear...

If you try to use it now, it will probably shrink and split or even possibly twist on you down the road, it's not remotely dried out yet. -Especially- with curly or quilted figured woods.

If you try to cut it, make sure you have the same finish on both sides or it will DEFINITELY curl and cup on you and be useless.

I.E., don't have a rough saw cut on one side and a sanded finish on the other. Definite disaster will await you. Both sides need to have the same 'texture', even if it's rough-cut, for the piece to dry out evenly.

Even if you cut it into thin pieces, you will still need to wait it out, and if you cut it into thin pieces, they are more prone to warp, cup, and bend quicker than if you left it the way it is for a few years.

If I remember right, the old saying goes 'an inch a year' for natural drying purposes.

what about kiln drying? you should be about to get 2" after it dries & skrins and you plane it... so that's at least 2 book batched tops if you have a good band saw to cut it with :D but i'm not expert

good...

i buy my next project wood..

framed maple: 300mm X 23mm X 2400mm X 1

framed maple: 500mm X 18mm X 2400mm X 2

black walnut: 600mm X 35mm X 2400mm X 1

2.jpg

Maple: 500mm X 18mm X 2400mm X 2

7.jpg

10.jpg

Maple: 300mm X 23mm X 2400mm X 1

12.jpg

13.jpg

black walnut: 600mm X 35mm X 2400mm X 1

my next project is use walnut 1pc body & maple 2pc TOP,

maple & ebony Neck.

I'm starting to feel like the doomsday machine tonight!

I built a guitar out of Walnut, and it is chambered, and, well, it is not one of my favorite axes although I do like it, there are other woods that, to me, were much better tonewoods than Walnut.

On the face of it, you would think Walnut would be a GREAT tonewood...I did...

...but found out, at least with mine, that it isn't the best out there, I can't say exactly why, but it is very noticable to me, in the fact that that guitar isn't one I immediately pick up and play...actually I am getting ready to rob it of some of it's electronics to use on another guitar.

Just speaking my experience, not my opinions...

I'm starting to feel like the doomsday machine tonight!

I built a guitar out of Walnut, and it is chambered, and, well, it is not one of my favorite axes although I do like it, there are other woods that, to me, were much better tonewoods than Walnut.

On the face of it, you would think Walnut would be a GREAT tonewood...I did...

...but found out, at least with mine, that it isn't the best out there, I can't say exactly why, but it is very noticable to me, in the fact that that guitar isn't one I immediately pick up and play...actually I am getting ready to rob it of some of it's electronics to use on another guitar.

Just speaking my experience, not my opinions...

Interesting... What is the problem with it? Could you please explain it? :D

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant, not that Walnut was a bad choice, but my experience with it was that other woods sounded better.

But we all know the story...even 2 pieces from the same tree will sound different...

If I had to put a label on it, it was that nothing really stood out about it. I can usually 'hear' the wood tonality of different guitars. I.e., play enough Maple-necked guitars, and you can start to 'hear' that sound and identify it in the tonal mix.

The Walnut just didn't offer anything substantive of it's own that I could hear and appreciate. Nothing bad about it, but nothing that stood out either is all.

Dunno but there's not too much walnut bodied guitars out there. I know even Fender made some walnut Strats in the early '80's, but this wood doesn't seem to be as popular as other species. Or is it just the weight? (Though you mentioned that your guitar was chambered, lol.) :D