Bosch Colt

catfoosh

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Laminate trimmer or palm router?I have the palm router but I have yet to use it.I bought it because I think it will work better with routing pickup and bridge routs with my template clamped.I have been having alot of problems with double sided tape slipping on me,so now i clamp the template,which limits room for a large router base.

Bosch calls it a palm router, I think, but its size, power, and features are pretty much par for the course for professional laminate trimmers, although it ranks near the top for power and features.

I think a laminate trimmer is pretty much defined by:

You hold it by the motor housing, not handles.

A 1/4" collet.

A small fixed-router style base.

Power around 1HP or less.

Edited by jnewman

Laminate trimmer or palm router?I have the palm router but I have yet to use it.I bought it because I think it will work better with routing pickup and bridge routs with my template clamped.I have been having alot of problems with double sided tape slipping on me,so now i clamp the template,which limits room for a large router base.

Wes, what type of tape are you using? I use 3m heavyduty cloth double sided carpet tape,( it's thin but works well). if I need more stick. I use turning tape ( woodcraft carries this, about 25$ a roll). This is very strong (if used on a clean surface, no dust)and used for face plate adhesion on lathes and also used for other turning tasks. It's expensive though. alittle goes a long away.

MK

Edited by MiKro

If you haven't given up completely on the double sided tape idea, try this stuff

pemacel

This stuff is awesome! It is pressure sensitive, so the harder you push on it the more it sticks. This is what I use for holding down pieces and parts in the CNC machine. This stuff will hold a body blank against a 3/4" endmill cutting .25"deep at about 200 ipm...it should hold a template against a router.

Nice and big templates (as big as possible for a pickup route) work best, enough tape, and the right tape. I use clear (transparent) stuff with fibreglass woven in. Strong, sticky, won't budge if you apply the template properly (push down hard, even clamp in place over the tape with a cam clamp, albeit briefly.

I've never had one slip with this tape. Other tape, yes.

I've never had tape issues that weren't related to, y'know, trying to tape a template to an unplaned/unsanded surface. Seriously, never a problem with good tape and good templates. If I can use screws safely, I do, because it makes it much easier to remove after the fact.

Ditto. Your problems stem from trying to hold the template down to a surface which isn't flat, or which is contaminated somehow.

I use 3M doublesided tape, common or garden variety, and often quite sparingly. If I have any concerns about the tape slipping, I clamp the template down for a few minutes which I get the other tools I need sorted. I often need to use a wide chisel and pry the template off the body afterwards!

Like Mattia, I use screws where possible, just because it makes removal easier, and I don;t have to risk damage to the template getting it unstuck.

If you have trouble with your tape releasing, try a little denatured alcohol. Just pry up the edge and squirt a little alcohol in the crack. Capillary action will wick the alcohol in and it will release the tape. Check first that the alcohol won't discolor your wood.