Some things I'm currently working on

Hey everyone, I've been spending 8 to 10 hours a day in the shop lately, and here's some of the stuff I've been working on.

The first pics here are an inlay for a custom 7 string built by Scott Heatley from Vancouver, he sent me the neck, and he sent Darren (ATD) the body. When I saw the body, I talked with the owner of the guitar about the inlay. Originally he had wanted a JEM style vine, but I said the swirl looked like water, so we went with the aquatic theme. Quite a departure from a vine huh?

The materials are

Dolphins: White and Gold MOP

Water: Paua Rim Abalone

Setting sun: Red Heart Abalone

Birds: pink select paua

Clouds: figured MOP

water drops: Paua Rim Abalone

Currently the black on the dolphins is just ink drawn on, but it will be engraved of course once inlayed B)

You can see how physically tiny the birds are with the exacto blade :D

dolphins_full_3.jpg

birds.jpg

water_droplet.jpg

Next are a couple bodies I'm working on, the first is a left hand 7 string JPM P1 graphic.

jpm_clear_1.jpg

Next is a Skulls and flames graphic, I cut a skull stencil for the skulls, cut the flames freehand in frisket film, then sprayed a transparent green over them, the whole thing is cleared with a gold pearl clear. It will also be getting green flame inlays on the neck :D

clear_1.jpg

Well, that's all the pics for now, I'll update as things progress :D

Very nice work LGM. Just curious what your technique was for cutting those out. I figured you used a V block and jewelers saw to cut them out, but was just wondering if you could give us some tips on doing that. I was also wondering about the engraving part you suggested, guess I've never heard of that before. I just thought you cut it out and let the fretboard be the dark part of the drawings or can it not be done this way? Anyway, great job on the inlay work!!!!

Matt

LGM, as always, I'm so impressed with your artistic ability. I strive to be as good as craftsmen such as yourself. I also would like to know YOUR technique on engraving. Do you use the standard graving tools or do you have a different way to aproach these details?

Just beautiful bud,

Dave->

Very nice work LGM. Just curious what your technique was for cutting those out. I figured you used a V block and jewelers saw to cut them out, but was just wondering if you could give us some tips on doing that. I was also wondering about the engraving part you suggested, guess I've never heard of that before. I just thought you cut it out and let the fretboard be the dark part of the drawings or can it not be done this way? Anyway, great job on the inlay work!!!!

Matt

Hey everyone, glad you are enjoying the pics :D

The shell is primarily cut with a Grobets swiss jewellers saw and #3/0 blades. All by hand. However, I did buy a scroll saw (a very good one is needed or you'll just snap blades) to cut some of the larger pieces. The inlay blades fit in the holders fine and you can cut with the scroll saw but you have to be extremely careful not to let the piece lift or you snap blades like crazy. Also, if it's not a very good very smooth scroll saw it will vibrate and bounce like mad.

The birds were cut with the jewellers saw by hand, same with the water droplets.

The black lines for the mouth and eyes are just drawn in with ink right now, but they will be engraved and filled with a black epoxy.

The egraving can be done a couple of ways, you can buy actual graver's, they are like itty bitty micro chisels, or you can power engrave. I have a diamond engraving bit that I use, however that can be really tricky, for nice straight, or even curvy lines, i suggest using a graver, they can get away from you quick, but they can also be a little easier to use smoothly.