Korina Sg. First Project!

The Plan:

So I am building an all Korina, Neck-thru SG with a ebony 24-fret fingerboard, Kahler 7300 Trem, A Gibson '57 Classic in the Bridge, A Gibson P-94(P90 in a HB Size) in the Middle, and a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom HB in the Neck. They will be on/off controlled with push/pull pots. (no switchwasher). I am going to have Sperzel Trim-Lok Tuners, a GraphTech Nut, and StewMac's LP Custom Inlay Set. Whew.

What's Been Done so Far:

I have rough cut the body wings, cut the Fingerboard, mounted the truss rod, and shaped the neck @ 90%.

Pics:(more to Follow)

Guitar Pieced Together:100_0911.jpg

Body Wings: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/sg3390/100_0910.jpg

Neck Front: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/sg3390/100_0907.jpg

Neck Back: http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/sg3390/100_0905.jpg

Edited by SG3390

Yea, korina is what gibson calls it, and limba is what it is really called. its is 100% white limba, the same stuff gibson used on the legendary 60's models of the sg, explorer, and flying v.

Today, I glued the body wings to the neck, and will have pictures when it is all dried tomorrow or maybe saturday.

I got some pictures of the guitar all glued together, spare the headstock. I have yet to blend all the parts together, and I need to take about 8mm off in thickness.

100_0912.jpg Both my current guitar and my Korina SG

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/sg3390/100_0913.jpg <- Sorry about the picture quality, old camera.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/sg3390/100_0918.jpg

Ok. so this may seem like a stupid question to some of you veterans, but, since I will have 3 HB sized pickups, all mounted with rings, like Gibson does, what size mounting ring do I use for the middle pickup? All I have been able to find are for the neck or bridge. Thanks in advance!

So I have been working all weekend, and I have FINALLY thinned the guitar down to the right thickness. I had to do this by hand, using a plane, because I don't have access to a planer or the like. Also, I have began carving the bevels, I finished the front, and started the back. Let me know if pictures are wanted.

This is just an internet-speak meme, so don't take it literally:

This thread is worthless without pics!!

:D

(that's just a way of saying, yup, we'd love to see more pics)

Ok. Sorry for not posting pics, but I've been hard at work bevelling the edges. Now, the bevels are deeper than those of a standard SG, cause that's how I wanted it. Low and behold, today... the BRIDGE/TREM ARRIVED! In all of it's shiny glory, it's my new Kahler 7300 Hybrid Bridge System! Holy Cow, I already love it! BTW, I have decided to go with a PRS-style headstock. I think it is a little more attractive and less traditional.

Pics:

* Will be posted as soon as camera is done charging!!! :D *

Edited by SG3390

Ok, but should I do the old Gibson headstock, wide and cool looking, but a bit heavy, or the new gibson which is narrow and (IMO) kinda weird looking, but balanced? BTW, Does anyone have a 61 SG Headstock Template (The wide one) I have the narrow one, and it just looks out of place. Thx.

Edited by SG3390

I began the routing today. Finished bridge/trem rout, and began the pickup routs. end of next week I'm going to buy the electronic components from stew-mac, and once they arrive, I am going to begin routing the control cavity. I'll post pics when routing is done (sometime next week or so)

use the headstock that you think looks the best,but thin it down (front to back) to 1/2" instead of the normal 9/16" ,use the lightest tuners you can find(sperzel has some open back tuners desighned to be light),and make the neck fairly thin,and it will balance fine...or it should anyway.

Ok. I was planning on using Sperzel Trim-Loks, I don't think they are overly light, but my neck is pretty thin, thinner than a normal SG, but not as thin as an Ibanez Wizard or anything like that. But seriously, I really need a Template for the old, wide gibson headstock, so can anyone let me know if you have one?

Edited by SG3390