Clean Amps?

EKO

Well it must be said that you cant go too wrong with a Fender (clarify, one of the valve/tube based ones, the transistor ones are ok but not brilliant)

on the less well known (and less expencive) side of things anything from the roland JC range is also a damned fine clean amp.

the JC120 is legend and rightly so but is huge and very heavy.... they do the JC77 that has the perfect clean sound and is a 1x12" thats much more portable.

the built in distortion is the nastiest sound I have ever heard so if you want distortion get a pedel.....

I've also got some very nice results out of a Vox AC30...

in order to help us out a bit what sort of budjet do have for this and how much volume do you need to be putting out

Edited by The royal consort

thanks for the help so far.

my budget is probably around £3-400

around 65 watts or something? Small enough to practice with but big enough to get some decent volume for small venues.

Ive played a lot with a Vox AC30 but the whole design of it and the controls annoy me to no end.

even though the sound is quite nice. plugging an sm58 in for playing harmonica sounded poor. i guess they arnt really vocal amps.

would rolland be a good option for use with a mike/guitar?

I said it before and I'll say it again.. Musicman 210 Sixtyfive, still affordable, so clean you can hear a mouse pissing on a cotton ball when not playing. Very robust construction. My ears hurt when volume was set at 8. :D Designed by Leo himself after he sold the Fender Corp. to CBS.

Anything vintage with the name Fender on it is far too expensive now, especially for what you want it for.

This lil amp right here was custom designed for what you need I think.

Traynor YVM-1. Stands for Traynor Voice Master.

4 channels, it starts life out as a PA but you can mod the channels for guitar use (totally tube driven amp), so you have the ULTIMATE HEAD for use with PA AND guitar.

Built solid as a freakin' rock too, and dirt cheap usually.

4 inputs, 4 outputs, so you can have separate amp cabs for guitar and voice.

Velvet Black YVM-! Traynor

Harmony Central YVM-3

OK gang, if you've been looking for an affordable path to vacuum tube nirvana, pay attention. Everybody knows that vintage tube PA heads represent great bang for the buck, and the YVM-1 is no exception. Because it is an older unit, it offers the nearly bulletproof construction and quality components that were hallmarks of Traynor's products - 2xEL34 power tubes, four 12AX7s and stout Hammond transformers - all in a completely hand-wired circuit. One look at the prices of new handwired amps by any manufacturer will tell you something there.

But wait, there's more...

Because it was originally designed as a PA head, there are some unique and useful features - like four inputs with individual volume controls (if you're a tinkerer, this allows you to tweak the preamp in a ton of different ways), a set of preamp out/powe amp in jacks (sort of a prehistoric FX loop, but also really useful if you have an rackmount preamp or high-end stompbox like a V-Twin - it then becomes an all tube power amp), and four speaker out jacks (as long as you observe the switchable 2 or 4 ohm impedance, you're good to go)

Is this a Traynor YVM-1 Voice Master?

If so....

Hmmm..... this can make a killer guitar amp even though it was originally marketed as a P.A.

You can get some interesting very vintage Marshall tones with this, if you gang the channels and dial it in right.

These are real "sleeper" amps. If you tried to buy something today with that circuit and that build quality, you'd be spending over $3000....

Marshall doesn't even make anything that Marshall-y anymore.

I've got a Laney LC-30 MK1....the clean channel is crystal clear, the OD channel is raunchy AC30. Only 30watts, all valve but sooooo bloody loud. haven't got it passed "2" on the master gain even during a full-on, gig level rock rehearsal with a full band in a large room. Tried it on "3" once & it was painfully loud. The newer MK2's are quite ugly & don't seem to rate as highly on Harmony Central so I'd go for a secondhand MK1.....I got mine for under £250 SH.

A local music store had 3 in when it opened & apparently sold them all within the first week. I've had my share of rack gear, marshalls & various old 70's combos & stacks & this little amp is definitely my favourite.....at the moment

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews...Laney/LC30/10/1

Yeah Fenders arnt too bad for price, eBay tends to bloat things beyond their worth.

at the moment im playing an 'Aslin Dane'

ive never heard of anyone using them before but it sounds pretty sweet with my tokai LP through it.

only problem is its 20watts. a little small for competeing with drums!

Ill look into mesa boogie.