Totally Finished

sure...just have a whole bunch of guitars floating around with the myka name on them which myka will wince at every time he thinks about them....hopefully slabbefusk,the part of you that died is the part that accepts "good enough"

i fully understand why you had to destroy them....i have a few that will get their own funeral once i am finished trying things out on them

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no i don't stomp puppies..i actually quite like puppies...it was just a sick sense of humor coming out to play.

but it is true that in a litter of puppies or kittens they will sometimes be born alive but with their brain poking out through the top of their head,and they will die very painfully from it within a week or two,so you do have to kill them...harsh but true.

the things you see growing up in the country would no doubt appall you if you knew about them...ever pick up a hen to gather the eggs and find a chickensnake all curled up aroud the eggs eating them?i have...the hen never even knows the snake is there

:D Some where a guitarless orphan is shedding tears, tears of lost hope in all that is pure :D There there little orphan there there. Seriously I understand why this must be done. Ive got a couple past projects I'd like to WOD.. I think I would get more enjoyment out of it with a sledge though.

• 8 months later...
:D I would have at least salvaged the pickup and tuners.

Why do you do that??? You could at least give it to someone who would do something better than burning it!!! You are wasting valuable resources and I find that offensive. Please consider doing something better with these instruments than igniting them. JUST PLAIN HORRIBLE!!! Time to go light a Ferrari on fire just because it is scratched!

Why do you do that??? You could at least give it to someone who would do something better than burning it!!! You are wasting valuable resources and I find that offensive. Please consider doing something better with these instruments than igniting them. JUST PLAIN HORRIBLE!!! Time to go light a Ferrari on fire just because it is scratched!

And have crappy guitars floating around with this mans name on them? Comparative extremism is a fine sign of irrational logic.

The only reason I can see for NOT burning guitar failures is the fact that its contributing to carbon emmisions. The paint, wood, plastic and metal that gets consumed in the flames is NOT environmentally friendly, and for a group of would be luthiers and professionals that this board attracts, whos pleasure and sometimes businesses depend upon sustainable wood sources that are being effected by pollution, should be more environmentally aware. Wood is recycleable, as is plastic and metal. I would prefer to see a WOR (Wall of Recycling) policy, but I guess im just a tree hugging hippy at heart :D

Apart from that, I understand the reasons behind destroying creations that are failures. All evil scientists and those whit plans of world domination destroy their failed creations! :D

You know, when I first saw this thread I was dumbfounded. But now as I think about it again, it makes sense to me. My first guitar was a failure in the fact that it can't play or function properly, yet a success in the area that I have learned from the failure. One day, I will burn it. I want to try and rescue it first.

:D I would have at least salvaged the pickup and tuners.

what do you think happens when ferrari designs a new car but they realise its a bit of a dud, do you think they get all charitable and send it off to some learner driver to make sure they are not wasting materials. Part of the design process is ending up with unwanted or imperfect products - these rarely see the light of day in most industries!

Look at these few guitars as learning experiences, they have served a function - even if its just as a practice piece . And if they are not saveable by david i bet there are very few people around here that could make them into good instruments

what do you think happens when ferrari designs a new car but they realise its a bit of a dud, do you think they get all charitable and send it off to some learner driver to make sure they are not wasting materials. Part of the design process is ending up with unwanted or imperfect products - these rarely see the light of day in most industries!

Well, that's a false analogy. :D Don't get me wrong, I'm not against WOD or burning... though Alex and sbs have made some compelling arguments in the other thread. But the analogy is failed because in one case you have a wood-craftsman with some wood, who might send it to another wood-craftsman who could potentially repurpose the wood. In your analogy, you have an engineer sending off equipment to an operator. The analogy would only work if the luthier built a complete failed guitar and then sent it to a beginner guitarist to learn on.

So, the question is... what DOES happen to ferarri's failed design? :D Probably gets stripped then junked and recycled. The ferrarri equivalent would have to be the engineers gathering together around their failed design, planting some explosives on it, and watching it blow up. Which, while it sounds cathartic and like damn good fun (like the WOD approach), isn't likely what ferrarri does. B)

Also, what confuses me is that people think that the people with tears in their eyes would in all cases want the body as-is, try to attach a neck (or whatever) and call it a done deal. I'm a big fan of Steinberger "broom" (GL?) guitars, and I guarantee you could salvage enough wood from these builds to make a GL-style body or two! Or something like what Boggs came up with. Or a body for a lap steel. Point being, there's salvagable wood, and it doesn't have to be just trying to 'continue' what David (or whoever) started.

But I ramble... in case it's not clear, I continue to have no real issue with this approach. Meh. It's their stuff, and if it's cathartic then it's serving a purpose. :D

The analogy would only work if the luthier built a complete failed guitar and then sent it to a beginner guitarist to learn on.

thats the normal thing people start saying in this situation - "what a waste - i could have used that". In theory its a great idea untill one of those learners gets it looking smart enough to sell with davids name on!!

I don't buy that argument. WOD is fine and dandy, but it's not preservation of name/reputation. It's catharsis. To justify it as preservation of brand identity and pride isn't accurate. There are innumerable ways to pass along something that would have no possible way to be tied back to anybody.

Just playing Devil's advocate... as far as I'm concerned, catharsis is a fine reason to do something. I just don't think there's any point trying to make highbrow justifications for what's essential a primitive and joyful act. :D

As for the analogy-- that's got nothing to do with English. An analogy isn't tied to a language but to logic. It's tricky to make good analogies; when you do, they strengthen your argument. But when you don't, head-scratching ensues. :D

greg i am not sure what you point is so i will start a list

I am here to show of my skill with guitars (or lack of)

I am not here to show my skill(s) in:

language

logic

Mathmatical ability

guitar playing

Sexual prowess

(please feel free to add to the list of things you feel i am not good at if you wish!!)

i am only contributing to this thread because i think pheonix-rising's response shows a lack of empathy with another viewpoint

Sure there are many ways to deconstruct a guitar but as human beings we all like a good fire!! Of course its carthartic - almost like a right of passge to leave those guitars behind.

I must admit i was against this a few years ago but now i think i understand it much better