Any Suggestions For Gettin "that Sound"

ibanez_crazy

So Im about to go in and start tracking for My old bands 10th reunion. In the past I have miked a variety of cabinets, with different combos of heads, mics, and what not..and I could never get "that sound" . Im looking for a Killswitch Engage tone, and live I can get pretty close. I know part of the reason for that sound is the dropped tuning, as we are only tuned a 1/2 step down for this project. At the moment, we are stuck doing the guitars direct, so Im using my Line 6 head. My Marshalls are crying. So my question is, are there any tips for direct recording to emulate that "recorded in the cabinet sound" I was thinking about front loading a overdrive pedal in the signal chain, if for nothing else, an added EQ, and maybe a bit more punch. Doubling up on the tracks isnt an option in this case as there is another guitarist, and last time we did it, it sounded to crammed. Anyone had any luck in this department with a certain combo?

Thanks, but I dont have a choice unless I can fly out to vegas. My bass player is our producer and he is only here for month. His studio is in Nevada as of November 1st. Unfortunatly the equipment we are limited to is what we have here. The drums were recorded through rented mics, mixed through our PA board down to 2 channels, and into acid on his laptop. All the data will be transfered to an external hard drive, and brought back to his studio, where the final mix and mastering will be done. As of right now, we dont have anywhere we can mic a cabinet and play without upseting somebody. He's staying with his grandma. The only mic I have is a wide diaphram condenser, and I would rather not blast a cabinet into that. I learned that lesson on the 1st mic I bought when it poped the capsule. Like I said, Im limited to direct recording into a PC. The scratch tracks dont sound bad, they just dont sound like my live sound.

the best luck i have had has been with those cheapo little behringer vamp things...i can never even get close with a head and cab.

http://westhemann.com/final%20after%20fade-version%202.mp3

http://westhemann.com/my%20music/new%20mus...pr%20redone.mp3

http://westhemann.com/my%20music/new%20mus...high%20gain.mp3

all done with vamp...but i still have to get off my ass and lay down some decent tracks...and find a drummer :D

but i think these sound pretty natural.but then again i am no audiophile...

if you like the sound,say so and i will tell you exact settings...it is two rythm tracks,both completely different

Thats pretty close to the sound I can get now. Personally, I like a bit more in the mids, or maybe the speakers on my computer suck. Its funny how some of that stuff will surprise you. What kind of pickups are you runnin with that? Maybe I should clarify. If I double up on my guitar tracks, I can get that thick beefy sound I would love to record with. However, this band had 2 guitarists, and his style is much more free and open sounding than mine. Even on the same patch through the same amp, our style defines our tone. I was straight up Mr Thrash, and hes a old school punk. Mix the two and you get what we are trying to record. Wes, I like the sound, but its what I have now. Thanks anyway.

My friends stuff on his solo record sounds pretty good all through line 6, but according to line 6, to achieve your live sound direct, is to flip the switch, and plug in the XLR......BS. Been experimenting since, and just cant get it. Only 2 days left before judgement day. Better hurry

Don't know if it's an option for you, but I've been using Guitar Rig 2 and I think it sounds better than the Line 6 stuff. I haven't recorded anything with it, though... I'm not playing out right now, so I just use it to make noise in my living room.

2 live guitar rigs( line 6 flextone II and line 6 HD147 heads, varioius cabinets, Marshalls, Peaveys, Crates) beringer 12 mixer, 1 wide diaphram condenser mic, Peavey butcher head, Marshall cd100r head, JCM 800 head, Crate Blue Voodoo head, Alessis compressor, Alessis quadraverb, Laptop with acid installed, I think thats about it. What we dont have is a place to Mic a cabinet and crank it up, and time. My bassists plane leaves the week after the superbowl, and we aint recording that day. Still have to do 2 sets of guitar tracks, any overdubs, and vocals for 20 songs without overextending my singers voice. We asked a local club that we hang out at if we could record live cabinets there, but again we are limited on time, because we can only record untill hes open for business(record from 9am to noon)

Don't know if it's an option for you, but I've been using Guitar Rig 2 and I think it sounds better than the Line 6 stuff. I haven't recorded anything with it, though... I'm not playing out right now, so I just use it to make noise in my living room.

I agree, I have both, GuitarRig 2 and GuitarPort. Both have made recording guitar considerably easier but the GuitarRig allows so much more flex and sound. I've managed to get some really good sounds dialed on the GuitarPort but I can control the GuitarRig at runtime so much more it doesn't compare!