Exploder

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that'd be awesome!

...until your 9v died and you needed to replace it. :D

Wes, myka nailed it on the head. Sorry if I was ambiguous. It made sense as I was typing it. I carve a small notch that's barely big enough to slip a 1/8" allen wrench into. It's small and looks cool, in an unusual way. If you're worried about marring the finish when you pry the cover off, dip a paint can opener into liquid latex(sold at tool stores as screwdriver grip in a can or something to that effect).

A hole in the center for an allen wrench would be bigger than you'd think. It would have to be big enough for you to get the allen wrench through it including the 90 degree bend in the wrench.

peace,

russ

how strong are the magnets?

i just got them in the mail yesterday,so i don't know...they seem like they will hold it without being too much.

yeah garehanman...i think i can put a knotch in one corner...there is a spot where the cover matches a little less than perfectly with the rout...i could just put it there and solve both problems

i could always invent an airbag with a co2 canister which would blow off the cover at the flck of a switch...hehe

You should try one of those little suction things (ya know, those things that stick to a window and have a little hook on 'em ?) for pulling the cover plate off.

(Searching google) Ok, here we go :

http://www.suctioncups.com/medium.htm

I think I bought a couple at Walmart. It's a violin repair trick to use those to pump glue into cracks.

If you lightly wet them, then they REALLY stick on a smooth surface. But you probably won't need to wet them to use as a temporary "pull knob".

that's a pretty decent idea...iwas thinking of a modified vacuum cleaner attachment to do the same thing...but i think on this one i wil use a small angled finger groove...mostly because of the tiny bit in the corner of the cavity cover recess where the template slid a hair.

it's funny...it only moved like 1/64" or so,yet it sticks out like a sore thumb

• 2 weeks later...

Have you done a set up yet??? I don'tthink so because I don't see screw holes for the bridge! I just finish puting my guitar together and I just found out that the Kahler bridge is taller than the old floyd! And that is a lot! I set my guitar neck to 1/4" from the top of the body to the top of the fretboard. This is the same distanec that I have my Kelly with the hipshot!

And after I got everything together I place the 1st string and I find out that my actions was about 1/4" high!!! ****** I got a little bit upset, but I decided that since this is my guitar I will do as I did with all my TOM guitars, I will recess the bridge! I recess the darn thing about 1/4" about the thickness of the base plate and not it sits perfect! I did the rout as tight as I could and I had to push the bridge in! I will get pics monday because I left the camera at work!

I did lower them all the way! But believe it or not the intonation screw hits the string before it touch the roller!!! I wish I could post pictures right now so that you could see. I think that if I ever decide to build another one with a kahler (pretty probable) Iwill recess it too! The string hight is exactly were I like it!

How tall is your fretboard of the body? My body is dead straight on the top (see here) and Icut the neck pocket at the same angle! Everything is good as I checked with a straight edge! I didn't had the bridge at the time, this is why I came up with this little problem. But I'm glad becauwse I don't think that I would like the strings so high off the body! Now they are 1cm close to 3/8".

maiden...i just rechecked and everything seems right...but i do notice that to lower the saddles all the way the allen screws will be in the way of the strings....have you considered shortening the allen screws from under the saddles?that's what i will do if i need to.

this is the first time i have used this bridge and that could easily be one of those quirks you don't notice until too late.

but if i must i will dissasemble the entire bridge and take off some of the baseplate..i don't see that happening though...my straightedge shows me right where i need to be ithink

it would be nice of kahler to provide optimum dimensions though.

Yes I would like for Kahler to provide more instructions to installing! On my guitar the phillips screw was the 1st one to touch the string before the height screw! And it is because of the angle between the cam and the saddle! The sustain is great! The tone like a hardtail, not a trem, and I got it unlocked, one thing I will change on mine is to go with a behind the nut lock, because I'm too late now for a floyd nut, and the graphteck is binding just a little bit, I'm sure it will bet better with more ABUSE, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the Kahler lock nut!