set neck tenon

hey mann

here is something to think about. [probably won't answer your question directly though, possibly indirectly] over the years companies such as Gibson and PRS have been quite slack with making neck joints, to cut costs i guess.

in general e.g. a Gibson LP made now and/or in the past 15 years will have a much larger heel than a Gibson LP from the 60's. it is funny, when Gibson re-issue such models, the implement the smaller heel.

another e.g. PRS guitars now/and have for the past 12 years - have a big ass heel. this has only been so since 1992. that why they are chunky where the neck meets the guitar. no PRS has a big ass heel before 92. now you know, if you are thinking about buying a PRS off someone, and they say it is a 87 model and it has that big ass heel, they are full of ****. the only excuse PRS had was "to improve sustain and strength" may be the real excuse is "we are cost cutting and it is easier to do"

i have read your question like 10 times now, and i am still having trouble comprehending it. perhaps you could draw us a pic of what you mean. [pictures tell a thousand words ;) ] if your method was used in realilty, and it made the heel of a gibson bigger than what it already is, there is your answer. :D

Page.

The problem with a fullwdith neck tennon on a LP type guitar is in the cutaway area. If you look at a strat cutaway, you'll see a small step between neck and body. The Gibson neck flows 'seamlessly' into the cutaway, and this would be very difficult to accomplish with a fullwidth tennon. You will see the problem if you look at bolt neck LP clones, or look at the pictures of an LP junior singlecut in 'Make your Own Electric Guitar'.

This also stems from the fact Gibson's history pre-solidbodies was Archtop guitars, which feature the same design in the cutaway, and use a dovetail joint like an acoustic guitar - the LP tennon is a simplifed version of this traditional joint.

The fullwidth tennon is generally used on designs where the cutaway joins the neck at a corner (ie PRS, Baker, Quiksilver, Les Paul doublecut) not guitars where it joins as a curve (ie Les Paul, yamaha SG series).

Hope you can understand what I'm talking about, it's tough to put into words... :D

I think I understand. Do you mean that why doesent the tennon continue to just go flush with the fingerboard? Is that what you mean?

Like It should follow the taper?

yeah that's what i mean.

i did some more research and heatley guitars also does it this way.

i just feel more comfortable doing it that way.i will take pictures when i get the neck cut out,that way everyone else that wants to do it that way can learn from my adventures...good OR bad...hehe

thanks for the prs pic,alex...it eases my mind