Wez Venables Latest

WezV

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a nice peice of walnut!, more flamed than mine but less colour variation . . . i think . . . we will have to wiat till its finished to really know

I have seen a few similar bits of walnut recently so i guess thats what larry is pushing at the moment - look at digthemlows most recent thread, i bet that came from the very same plank as mine.

my dad just stole his camera back so i am afraid i am on phone pics now!

Freboard lines and radiused;

th_DSC00024.jpg

th_DSC00023.jpg

the frelines are pearwood ala ACG

Also started work on the back of the guitar. I have routed for the cavity and battery box and started working on the neck/body transition

th_DSC00029.jpg

th_DSC00028.jpg

th_DSC00027.jpg

th_DSC00026.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well i finally got the bass sent to nath for spraying yesterday so hopefully we will have some nice pictures soon - i cant wait to see what it actually looks like with some lacquer on!!

I put it together with the pickup wired straight to the jack so the guy i am building it for could check he was happy with everthing before i got it finished, its not something i normally do but he had requested i aim for a neck shape similar to his custom shop jazz bass so i wanted to make sure he was happy .

he was!!

After playing for a minute or two he said 'i think this is going to need a fretted twin'. . . i like it when its like that!

I havnt got any photo's yet because my dad was inconsiderate and stole back his digital camera but nath will take some as he sprays it.

His guitar build is also progressing nicely with neck fitted to the body and ready to be carved and body has been bound ready for bridge and pickups to be routed -hopefully we will get some pics of that soon as well.. Nath's coming on quite well as a builder and is helping me raise my standards and consistency

Naths started applying the lacquer today and sent me a load of pics - unfortunately its from his camera phone but you get the idea:

th_DSC00177.jpg

th_DSC00176.jpg

th_DSC00175.jpg

th_DSC00174.jpg

th_DSC00173.jpg

th_DSC00172.jpg

th_DSC00171.jpg

th_DSC00170.jpg

th_DSC00169.jpg

I may have been nagging him to get this done this morning - he might be trying to tell me something:

th_DSC00178.jpg

More pictures, better than the last ones!!! lacquer isnt done yet as you can tell by all the pores. It needs flatting off and a few more coats then it will be done . . But i had to show what the wood looked like with a finish!!!

IMG_0323.jpg

th_IMG_0335.jpg

th_IMG_0330.jpg

th_IMG_0328.jpg

th_IMG_0325.jpg

th_IMG_0321.jpg

I dont think i will have time to do it myself once its assembled. The client is waiting very patiently. He was in London recording last month, great for him but it does mean it might be a while before he gets chance to record with this particlular bass.

• 3 weeks later...