Shimmer Pearl Finishes ?have You Ever Used Them?

bscur

I'm thinking of using some purple shimmer pearl metallic powder in my clear coat. I got the stuff off of ebay and wonder what a good color beneath it would be. Anyone used this kind of stuff? How much does it cover? How much will the undercoat color show/matter?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

So I did a search on these powders you can add to your clear and didn't find much. I'm curious, since the mica particles seem a lot like a stain, what would happen if you mixed them with an aniline dye? Would they make the figures sparkle, or muddy it?

And if you put some in your clear coat over a quilted or flame top, what happens?

Anyone have experience with this stuff?

Thanks,

Todd

I'm thinking of using some purple shimmer pearl metallic powder in my clear coat. I got the stuff off of ebay and wonder what a good color beneath it would be. Anyone used this kind of stuff? How much does it cover? How much will the undercoat color show/matter?

Thanks

Here is a great site that may help you understand how to use the pearl additives. It's a complicated process sometimes depending on what you are trying to achieve. I have used it on wood in my tints and in my clears. It does obscure the grain if too much additive. As far as base coats, some work better with dark others with light color bases.

Like I said, look at this site and read some of the tips they have. you may find the answer you are looking for.

Paint With Pearl Link

Hope it helps.

MK

Edited by MiKro

Thanks for the link MiKro, that's actually the site I had been reading from.

Pariah, that's a good point, but the way people seem to do it is to use clear with pearl, then cover that with more clear. So your pearl winds up in the middle of the clear. You could put it in the base coat which is probably what you're thinking, but I won't have a base coat since I'm using figured wood.

Typically pearl is in an intercoat clear level. You then add clear and level that, pearl is tricky cuz you have to make sure you dont cut through your clear and damage the pearl becuase then for the most part its game over.

Same with flakes, or candy finishes. Runs also are disasterous.

If you add it to your base coat you wouldn't see it since it would be coverd/mixed in the base.

The upside is you usually can get the finish you want with a pearl base coat and eliminate the hassle.