wood is fun

is redwood a good neck wood? i was fortunate enough to find a piece on ebay, but before i bid, i would like to know if this is worth my time to dry and use and all that other stuff...

redwood

here's another i found...

more redwood

wow, now that's figuring.... but i think you're out of luck, redwood doesn't seem strong enough to be used as a neck unless you laminated a couple stripes of ebony into it, even then i'd be a bit iffy i think, it's about as strong as basswood...

ramparts has some information on the wood

http://www.rampartguitars.com/w_Pu-Ro_8.htm#Redwood

warmoth has something on their page aswell but doesn't talk about tone, and it's only listed in the body section.

so then, that's a no on the redwood. cool. i can handle that. what's a good wood other than what's common that i could use? i mean, i know maple is good, and some other hardwoods, but i'm kinda looking for some really rare stuff, something no one ever uses unless they're just plain cool. nothing you would see on a normal guitar.

Quartered Paduak would be a good choice.

You don't see it often, but it's a great wood.

Warmoth offers it, and I bought one and like it a lot.

Koa also (if you can find quartered Koa)

Rosewood would weigh a ton, but we all know that right? :D

Q'ed Purpleheart

Q'ed Myrtle

The Lacewood I've had was as soft as Redwood, really soft stuff.

You might be able to use such woods if you split it up into 3 sections, but that would probably ruin the figure you're probably going for...

Zebrawood might be another option, but Zebrawood is also -really- heavy stuff.

Cherry would be great also, but I don't think it has the crazy figure you're probably looking for...

I think what you would want to find is a piece of highly figured Mahogony, Cherry, or Maple.

One thing to remember tho, is any wood that is highly figured is also (usually)prone to movement and warpage, "to some extent"... :D

The last thing you want on a neck...

If you used Lacewood, used 3 different slabs with the grain going perpendicular to each other, and used a good hard stiff 'board, like Ebony, ...might work...

What the hell, do something crazy and let us know what happens! Experimentation is always fun, tho not always usable.

zebrano (zebrawood) has stood out in my mind a couple of times. i was thinking of doing somethin with that further down the road actually, 'cause it's a little bit pricier than most of the woods i've seen and i would like more money to blow on it in case something goes wrong. and because of the beautiful figure on this wood, i'm still having issues not buying it. someone mentioned something earlier about strengthening it with ebony or something, and would like be something like a 5-piece neck job or something? 'cause i think that would look nice, but i have no clue how to do that. i would be needing some sort of tutorial or help in making that work.

Is lacewood stiff enough for neck? 'Cause if mahogany is okay...

:D

Hello, my first post here. I have a fair amount of Lacewood (they call it Silky Oak up north) I bought at auction for a good price.and I wouldn't use it for a neck without some serious reinforcement. It is not very strong and very coarse grained. I have about 100 metres of 100 x 40 in varying condition from very good to poor. I haven't considered using it on a guitar yet. There are better local hardwoods that I am working with. Good luck.