Carvetop Heaven

Here we go , Featuring aussie timbers exclusively :D (and ebony binding :D )

And the specs are............... Highly figured Queensland maple one piece body

3-piece laminated figured Blackwood set neck 2.5 deg. (0.5 mm dyed maple veneers)

Sheoak fingerboard with inner ebony binding/ she-oak outer

Qld maple headplate (inner is ebony/ outer is qld maple)

At this point I usually lose interest in reading specs , so on with the pics.

Many pics to post, so I'll do them in dribs and drabs. The obscure shots first.

DSC04472.jpg

front contour shot

neck to body

blackwood neck

cheers, Stu

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. A lot.

Howdy Brian. Love your acoustic build . Might see you next w/end at Chris Wynnes?

I was going to use 2pack auto clear but decided to try Wattyl pre-cat nitro.

There's no sanding sealer or grain fill, just nitro all the way. And a long dry time for the sinkback.

The Blackwood for the neck is from Mathews Timber in Vermont.

The Figured Queensland maple is from Bruno Australian Luthier Supplies Some very good figured timbers and other essentials with A1 service to boot !!

The sheoak fingerboard is from Tim at Australiantonewoods.com

Tim's got some great figured tops, acoustic sets and f/boards all in native aussie tonewoods.

DSC03723-1.jpg

Stu,that's a beautiful slab of Qld maple and you've done a superb job of bringing out its beauty. I didn't know that Qld maple could have such amazing figure. And I love the way you've matched the cavity cover. How'd you do that?

Brian.

PS. I'll be at Chris Wynne's for a couple of hours on the w/end, I hope to meet you there.

Thanks for the comments Brian. It really was an enjoyable experience to go through for a first time build.

I found the thought of building the neck a bit daunting at first, but it really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Mind you I read as much as I could before diving in :D. The cavity cover was cut out of scrap left over from the blank. I tried to line up the grain and figuring

the best I could with what was left over.

DSC04303_edited.jpg

Thanks Mattia. I don't know what's next, although I've got enough tops and other lumber from different members of the forum for another 8 builds. cheers to Rich Fry and Doug at Mammoth :D

The next will have more inlay and more intricate binding/purfling. Very pleasing part of the building process.

DSC04480_edited.jpg

top of headstock

from above

cheers, Stu

Thanks RG. Top blue swirl job by the way.

This one started on the first week of november last year . 4 months on weekends mainly.

I work during the day as a carpenter building funky architecturally designed houses, so I tend to kick

back during the weeknights after slaving away in the summer heatwave.

Half of my weekend time goes to the build, if I can get away with it. :D

I've got another buddy on the forum I see most Friday nights for an ale, a chinwag and a crank up of the marshall stacks.

He's also started doing some builds , so it's great to be going through the journey at the same time.

DSC04596.jpg

route around headplate

ebony in place

the outer binding

binding completed

cheers, Stu

:D That looks beautiful! Nice woods, and even better craftsmanship. I'm scared to try any binding, but you did two layers and it looks awesome. This looks like a GOTM winner to me. :D Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see you're next projects.

Thanks for the kind remarks guys. It's much appreciated.

This one won't be going into GOTM.

I'd like to build on what I've learnt on the first one and push myself further in the fine detail area for subsequent builds.

This one, in essence was a learning tool. :D

DSC04562.jpg

cheers, Stu

Thanks for the kind remarks guys. It's much appreciated.

This one won't be going into GOTM.

I'd like to build on what I've learnt on the first one and push myself further in the fine detail area for subsequent builds.

This one, in essence was a learning tool. :D

DSC04562.jpg

cheers, Stu

... Thats some learning curve for me then!!!

Cracking job, well done :D