Ibanez S Series,

Curtis P

Hello.

Good friend of mine told me on friday that she is wanting to sell her guitar, amp, and case for 500 canadian, asked me if i was interested, i said, maybe, what is it, she replied with Ibanez S Series.

It has a Trem, HSH pickups (stock) 6 string, the trem is missing the arm (are these a big deal to find and replace?) but everything else is mint on it.

The amp is a Peavey road amp, maybe 50 watts, really nice clean tone on it, but no distortion, it may just be the amp i was lookin for to enhance my tone, but again, its old, and i dont know what its worth at all, and the case is just a soft side gig bag.

Does anyone have any input or knowledge on if this is too much for her to be asking? I dont really want to throw her a low ball, and she wont seperate it all, she wants it to go as a complete set.

Is the S series like a Sabre or no? I googled a few pics and it looks kind of like an RG with a few more contours,

Thanks,

Curtis

an s is a sabre...they vary wildly in quality.

some are prestige,some are not.the newest ones have the zr trem,the older ones have the edge.

in my opinion,the best sabre ever produced was the old square heeled japan model (s 540?) of which i have one.it is a fine guitar

They are nice, however, I gotta agree with Wes. The S540 with square heel was the best, especially the customs with the IBZ pickups. The whammy bars are easily replaced, either evilbay or you local Ibanez dealer. Price... again Like Wes said, depends on year, if its a custom or not, quilt top or not. Have you seen the guitar yet? Would be woth the time again to check on the bay and find out what they are going for. I just picked up the S7420, and besides the 7th string, I would rather have an older one. Mine is a 99

Like the other have said, there have been lots of different models over the years. I hear that the newer Korean ones have a different neck joint that a lot of players don't seem to like as much. I'n general, I've found that the 90's MIJ stuff from Ibanez was very nice, whereas the Korean stuff is quite varied. I don't have any firsthand experience with the newest guitars (ie: post 2000).

Ive got one of the new S series with the ZR trem. The trem is brilliant, feels odd at first as it has a different feel to your standard Floyd. The only problem with mine is the sound ive tryed several pickups and i just cant get it to sound good with my setup. Appart from that its a comfortable guitar to play and i may just have a bad 1, as i have played others that sound good.

But i would try b4 u buy no matter what any way if possible, i dont know how much that stuffs gonna be worth in Canadian $ but its a steal if u convert that into GBP £.

T