ACG build progress.

Jason

One thing to keep in mind with any spalted wood is how far along in the decay process the wood is. To far along and the wood is very soft and pulpy which makes it very hard to work with. Also make sure you wear a mask whenever you work with it as the dust which contains the fungus that causes the spalting can really muck up your lungs. Same with any wood dust but complicated by the fungus in the wood.

Alan

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the suggestions and tips. I've read up a bit in the past on working with spalted woods (which is why I haven't tried beech yet) and I've seen a few ways to improve the stability like having it impregnated with acrlyic as one known wood vendor does and I see you've used this process before as well. If I go through Gilmer for the wood, I know that they can be of great help in choosing pieces for luthier work, so I would get as solid a piece as possible and then see what I could do with epoxy or CA to stabilize it further if need be. The fungus thing has always worried me, I am fairly careful about protection and always wear my mask. I'm allergic to dang near everything that an allergy test can test for, so I always try to be extra careful when working with wood. Again, I thank you for all the help and suggestions, please post some more pictures as you finish it and maybe some more info on how working with it was. Best of luck and keep up the excellent work. J

• 2 weeks later...

Just about underway with my second 9 string.

The spec on this one is just a little bit different from my usual basses.

Set-neck

35" scale

Swamp ash body

Black veneer

Mahogany top

Swamp ash cavity cover

7 piece maple/wenge neck

Acrylicised spalted fingerboard from Larry At Gallery HArdwoods

24 frets

Mahogany headplate

Wenge backplate

Black headstock veneer

77mm at nut

Flat fingerboard radius

M.O.P. side dots

No front dots

HARDWARE

Hipshot Type A bridge fitted with piezos

Hipshot Ultralite tuners

Black hardware

ELECTRONICS

ACG pickups

ACG Pre-amp

Ghost PE-0340-00 Acousti-Phonic mono/stereo bass preamp

CONTROLS

ACG Pre - Volume/balance stack knob

ACG Pre - Filter/peak stack knob

ACG Pre - Treble stack

ACG Pre - Filter/peak stack knob

2 way mini toggle switch - Controlling bridge pickup - Series / Parallel

2 way mini toggle switch - Controlling neck pickup - Series / Parallel

Ghost PE-0111-00 Quickswitch (for Acoustic-phonic pre)

3 position switch which selects between magnetic / piezo / or both

Ghost PE-0206-00 Push/push mid boost volume control

OUTPUTS

Stereo 1/4" output

John East XLR output

2475547157_37c4b63f48.jpg

More pics

I am just waiting for all the hardware to arrive to work out the control cavity to make sure all the bits will fit in.

Cheers

Alan

Another new build just about to get started on this one.

This is a Skelf 5 string.

Spec

White Limba body with a Native Walnut top usual black veneer.

Wenge/Maple 5 string neck with a Mac Ebony board 33" scale tuned E to C.

ACG FB pickups with a matching ramp in between.

ACG EQ02 pre-amp.

2475547151_5b27fe5b8c.jpg

2475547153_638a022bca.jpg

Just got this one finished and of to it's new home in the US.

One piece Amboyna Burl with sapwood front and back with a Mahogany core and black accent veneers.

Maple/wenge 5 piece neck with an excellent Acrylic impregnated spalted Maple fingerboard supplied By Larry at Gallery.

Head-plate Amboyna back-plate Wenge, heel Wenge and a Wenge control cover.

ACG FB pickups with coil switching.

ACG filter pre-amp with 18 volt option.

Finish 60/20

2494471712_7df7da85fa.jpg

More pics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Also working on the Redwood Recurve at the same time. Redwood is quiet bad for tear out as it is a soft wood to start with. Sharp tools are essential and it also helps when routing to have a long hard look at the grain direction especially on horns or any tight curves as this is where tear out is most likely to happen. Redwood also is hard work to finish as it is very porous and will drink in finish. I sealed this one with epoxy which hardened the wood and pore filled at the same time.

2584774132_7eb13dda75.jpg

Thanks for the info. The piece I have feels downtight spongey compared to the other woods I have lying around. It's about 1/4" thick, but I don't think I'd have any problem snapping it with just stiff finger pressure.

Since it's so soft AND with no real grain direction, I should take itty-bitty bites with the router? All I'm figuring to do with it is shape the body, give the edges a roundover, and the basic pup routes. By the time I can do any of that, the micro-plane drill-press thingy will be in, so maybe I should use it for the shaping instead of the router.

SKELF & PROSTHETA: When the time somes, is it OK if I PM you for input?

Same rules as always apply - just take your time with your work and plan your cuts. When doing roundovers, it's a good idea to take bits at a time by gradually lowering the bit each pass. Half depth first pass, 3/4 second and so on. The closer you get to full depth, the more chance the bit has of grabbing material out.

Create a thread for your build so it can all be shared rather than PM I guess.

Feel free to get in touch.

The thread above certainly covers doing the roundover. I lower the bit down very gradually and it is important to buy a good router bit for this job and type of wood. I use the CMT ones they are not cheap but are the best I have found to date.

Feel free to get in touch.

The thread above certainly covers doing the roundover. I lower the bit down very gradually and it is important to buy a good router bit for this job and type of wood. I use the CMT ones they are not cheap but are the best I have found to date.

I agree totally about the quality of CMT bits. I won't settle for less now unless CMT don't do what I need.

• 1 month later...