Let Me Get This Router Business Straight...

Ok well I am getting ready to build a guitar this summer(and I know you get a lot that start this way)but I dont get this router stuff...So I went to home depot the other day and looked at some. And now I know there are fixed routers and plunger routers my question is, is all this is is a different base to the router. Lets say i go to Home depot buy a router then do I go and buy a plunger base to attach to the router? Also you have to use the plunger for cavities(Pickup...etc.) and then you use the fixed for such things as cleaning off the sides of the body after you cut it out and for things like binding?

And I might as well through this question in there as well you can use a jigsaw to cut out the body then clean the edges with a router right?

Thank you

A router is typically two pieces, the motor and the base. Most decent routers can be removed from the base to switch from plunging to fixed opperations. Some lower end units do not seperate and generally only operate as fixed base routers. My advice would be to buy a good router as they are so very versetile. A good router and a good router table will allow you to do anything a guitar would demand. I would certainly opt for a "kit" with both plunge and fixed bases. I keep my fixed base in the router table and use the plunge base for all hand routing opperations. If you ever see yourself wanting both bases it's best to buy them as a "kit" as you will save a bunch of money in the long run. A second plunge base for my Bosch cost about $100 while the router and both bases as the kit only cost me $200. I used a jigsaw to cut out my first few bodies, it's a bit of a chore but it works.

Yes, you can use a jig saw. Pay close attension when turning a corner so that the blade does not start cutting at an angle though(you need to be sure it remains perpendicular). I agree that you will do best with a fixed/ plunge kit. I picked up this kit about a year ago and have really been happy with it-click

I like the weight and feel of the Hitachi, good power and soft start, the adjustments have been very accurate and tight. A very nice little unit. The Bosh is nice also(I find they are very similar)-click

Just in case you want to consider more power. You may want to look at this Hitachi-click

A bit bigger, but a nice powerful tool with good accurate adjustments.

Also you get a few extra goodies with these kits such as template guide kits, edge guides and so forth. You would do well with either of these router kits IMO.

Peace,Rich

Edited by fryovanni

I'll chime in and reccomend a Porter Cable 690 (or 694, whatever: the soft start variable speed version) with a fixed base, plunge base optional/nice if you can swing the price difference. Gotta say that I hardly ever actually plunge route; even pickup cavities are pre-drilled with a forstner, and I tend to just 'tip' the router in the final 1/16" in depth. Still, it's handy to have around.

(and remember, you'll likly want more routers in the future. Have three now, although I don't trust the Bosch anymore, seems to have a crack in the collet housing, on the motor itself, and a PC 690 and a 310. Probably get another 690 and/or 894 to put in the table eventually....)

What do you guys think about reconditioned ("refurbished") tools? You can get the same Hitachi kit Rich mentioned for about $80 less:

http://www.toolmarts.com/hitachi_km12vc-recon.html

CMA

Does it have the same warranty as new? That is a pretty heavy discount when compaired to the regular price of the tool. If the warranty is good seems like it could be a good deal.

I have the same Porter Cable router as Mattia.Came with a fixed and plunge base.The plunge stays out as my freehand and the fixed is mounted in a table.The plunge is ok but a little sticky and best used with the depthstops.It comes with a vaccum base that actually works.The fixed base is a real treat because they give you a shaft wrench that if you drill into your table allows you to unlock the baselock and fine tune the height from above the table.This is an incredibly handy feature and not sure if others have it.The body of the router is very powerful and the circlipped collet assembly are absolutely wonderful.Has softstart and variable speed.Also seems to run cool after prolonged load.Tried a Hitatchi and it runs a little hotter but still has good power.Could be a Hitatchi trait because my Star wars Hitatchi cordless drill gets troublingly warm.Wouldn,t trade my PC for any router