carving a top

next time i will rout the pocket while it is still a flat piece of wood

lol i was just thinking that when i saw that pic, something i also learned by trial and error .... but i preferer routing the neck pocket before i've cut out the horns so there's lot's of support for the router base

next time i will rout the pocket while it is still a flat piece of wood

Yup, I learned that one the hard way. I built a body that I was very happy with, then went to rout the pocket and it ended up slanting down where the router wasn't supported properly. Of course, that doesn't mean it can't be done but it just obviously it takes much more effort.

It looks like a great way to shape the body though. Is it hard to control? Does it try to move on you (jump around when you apply pressure)?

do you mean the grinder?you just use tha edge of the sanding disk...a very light touch is required

Yes, the grinder. I've only used one once and it was definitely not for doing something delicate like that. It looks like one wrong slip and you're spending a lot of time making up for the mistake (kinda like a router)?

do you mean the grinder?you just use tha edge of the sanding disk...a very light touch is required

Yes, the grinder. I've only used one once and it was definitely not for doing something delicate like that. It looks like one wrong slip and you're spending a lot of time making up for the mistake (kinda like a router)?

yup, very delicate light passes even with a fine 150 grit disk you can put a good gouge in the body if you lose focus for a second,

wes did you find going in a certain direction made it come out smoother? i noticed this when i was doing some arm rests, i beleive it was going against the rotation that gave a good clean sanding, but going with the rotation cut thru much faster at first...