A Couple Problem I Ran Into While Sanding My Body Down...

first, what is this translucent layer of white stuff under the primer? my body is alder and when completely sanded through, it is a light brown color... but on the front and back of the body, after I penetrate the paint and primer, there's this layer of yellowish stuff on the body... and it makes the body really nice and smooth and bright. what is this? is it just a thin layer of primer before it gets penetrated or some sort of wood filler thing? (i don't remember seeing this on my previous body... this is a MIJ jackson DXMGT body)

second, you know what smell bevel on the edges of dinky bodies? what do I do with them? I realized as I'm sanging the side, I'm kind of going through the bevels and making the edges sharper. should I use a chemical stripper to avoid sanding the bevel down to an edge? or is this a problem every refinishing processes face?

thanks a lot.

I'll leave your first question for someone more experienced with finishes, but I suspect it might be some kind of sealer.

As for making the edges of the bevel sharper, just round them off a little with sandpaper.

that would probably make some areas imperfect, right?

sucks to be a perfectionist :D

• 1 month later...

here is the answer to your first question. the trans finish underneath the primer and color coat is sanding sealer. it is applied to creat a surface above the wood before finishing. according to stew mac, sanding sealer should be 25-30% of your finish. do not sand the body all the way down past the sealer, or you will have to re seal it.

Sanding sealer isn't always used & is sometimes frowned upon as it's only purpose is to build a thick, easy to sand finish fast. If you're going to use a solid colour then normal primer works just as well & should finish harder, some people use clear laquer, epoxy or shellac. Sanding sealer is purposely soft when dry so that it can be sanded smooth easily.