Shop Brain Farting

Bertbart

You ever build something and didn't like it when you got done because you had a brain fart in the planning?

I spent all day Saturday designing and building a wall mount for my, 12" wheel, buffing arbor. I wanted it to come off the wall at 45 degree angle so the bearing housing's retangular base wouldn't interfere with the movement of the object I am buffing. (Guitar) I wanted it sturdy as well.

I accomplished everything I set out to do but with one terrible exception... I built too close to another wall to use the left side when buffing a guitar with a set neck. There wasn't enough room between the wall and the buffing disc. DOOH!!!!!

So Sunday with my Grandfather's and my Father's words echoing in my head..."Anything worth doing is worth doing right or it ain't worth doing and always sign your work with excellence". I spent most of the day disassembling and re-locating the damn thing to another wall. I had mounted the heck out of it so now I have to fill holes in the sheet rock where the old spot was and re-paint. It also means I have to re-locate the drill press, joiner, long belt sander and the band-saw. In other words I have to lay out the entire shop differently. Lucky for me I had just built a rolling platform for the band-saw because I got tired of musceling it into different positions as required by the cuts I was making so moving it was a piece of cake but not the rest.

I also had decided to build a dust-lint collection system because those cotton flannel wheels really sluff off a lot of lint. I started late last night when I was really tired and did something else stupid. The sides forms of the brackets for each buffing wheel semi-circle enclosures are directional. I had another brain fart. I was gluing and nailing the framework support ribs between the sides and put one bracket on backwards...I had to take a hammer and knock one side off and flip it over pull the nails wipe off the glue and re-glue and nail it...Well at least I caught it before the glue set up.

I should have known better than to try and work when I'm butt-ass tired. :D

Edited by Bertbart

Well, at least you're out there working in your shop. And, mistakes cause you to learn some. Just don't be so tired as to get sloppy and hurt yourself.

I've been trying to motivate myself to get out there more. I need to develop a habit to be out there the same time every day, or something like that.

I've been thinking about a new bench project. I want/need something I can walk completely around, at a nice work height. Then, I can get on with the guitar project.

Stay safe.

Well, at least you're out there working in your shop. And, mistakes cause you to learn some. Just don't be so tired as to get sloppy and hurt yourself.

I've been trying to motivate myself to get out there more. I need to develop a habit to be out there the same time every day, or something like that.

I've been thinking about a new bench project. I want/need something I can walk completely around, at a nice work height. Then, I can get on with the guitar project.

Stay safe.

What I do is I have a radio, and I just go down to "look it over". I dont think about working down there, but I prepair my workclothes etc. Then I go down and look at all the stuff I need to do, and get in the mood real quick. I start doing it. All you have to do is get out there. Get the work aspect out of your head. If you really dont want to work, then you wont. No biggie.

i always think about tool layout...pretty much constantly,and having enough space around everything is second nature to me.

i do the same when i arrange my furniture in the house.i map it all out in my head.same thing with guitar building,i think about it all obsessively for days before i get to actually doing it.

Too tired and woodworking is not a good mix. I don't do it since I came close to getting injured with a radial arm saw. And I've screwed up many a project working on it when I'm tired. Don't be too hard on yourself.

I know it sounds like girly dollhouse crap, but it's a pretty good idea to make a small model of your workshop and big tools and benches, so you can move them around, to see how it all fits. I probably wouldn't admit I have done it, if not for an article about it in Fine Woodworking magazine, where they show a picture of luthier John Monteleone with a rather large model of his shop with little palm sized versions of all his power tools, benches and shelves. Just don't go too far like I did, and give your little model drill press a table that goes up and down and moves from side to side.

Here's how I solved my space problem in regards to the buffing wheel and drill press:

buffingwheel.jpg

It's a bench mount radial type press, which usually takes up a lot of space, front to back, so I put it on a rolling cart with the buffer on the opposite side. You'd have to get creative to do it with a floor mount press, but it could be done.

I have my arbor and motor mounted to a piece of wood that I can bring out and clamp to a table when it's time to buff. Keeps it out of the way when your not buffing.

Of course, the weather might improve and get a little warmer. You never know, lately.

I'm loving the cool weather. It's really hard to work out there when it's 105+ fahrenheit.

I am working on a similar bench project. I have a small 12' x 15' enclosed area that will be a multi-purpose room. A friend of mine owns a countertop shop. He's building me a bar top that is 96" x 42". It will sit on a frame thats about 36" high. One end will be against a wall, the other end will have an overhang so you can sit on a stool at it like a table.

It will be good for doing wiring & detail work. I'ts all about elbow room...nothing like being able to spread out your work. :D

I moved into my wifes house after we got maried in late december. Since then it has just been remodeling the bedroom before I can move everything in. Now that it is getting nice out I am starting to clear our the garage to use as my shop, so I am trying to figure out where everything goes. But her father was a pack rat and left almost everything he owns and doesn't want anymore there for us to deal with. So for now, my shop designing consists mainly of tripping over everything, and trying not to break my neck. But I did get my lumber rack hung last night and it has a nice piece of ash hung on it along with a piece of curly maple which both will turn into my next guitar and a nice piece of lacewood which turn into a humdor or jewelery box. Now to just make room to build either of those.

Ya, definitely need to find a place to put a bandsaw. It'll have to be mobile, for my space.

Saw the ultimate vice the other day, that you can mount a board or something on with bolts to create a work surface, which swivels and turns all round 360. A little expensive at $206, but I have to be able to get around a project. Perfect for guitar making.

Saw the ultimate vice the other day, that you can mount a board or something on with bolts to create a work surface, which swivels and turns all round 360. A little expensive at $206, but I have to be able to get around a project. Perfect for guitar making.

Is there a photo of this vise on the internet somewhere ? I'm curious about it.

So far, this is suppose to be the ultimate guitar building/repair vise :

http://files.photojerk.com/soapbarstrat/ultimate_vise5.JPG

But they quit making them quite a while back, so what was once a $375.00 vise 15 years ago, is now over $1,000 *when* a used one comes up for sale.

I'm way too thrifty for that. Heck, I paid no more than $130.00 for all these guys :

http://files.photojerk.com/soapbarstrat/bigvise3074.jpg

http://files.photojerk.com/soapbarstrat/vise_squad207.jpg

I was even too cheap to buy StewMac's 'nut and saddle' vise for $30.00, so instead I bought an $8.00 pair of sheet metal vise grips to do the same job :

http://files.photojerk.com/soapbarstrat/nutvise2071.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a photo of this vise on the internet somewhere ? I'm curious about it.

Next time I'm at Woodcraft store, I'll see if I can get a make model off it for you. It's sweet. Well made. I'm definitely going to have to fit this thing into the budget.

Been toying around with the idea of perhaps modifying a bicyle mechanics stand/vice to work with a guitar.