Guitar edge

goat

i was thinking about it.... you might want to use a really hard wood top that doesn't need to be sealed or finished (padouk, bloodwood, pau amarello, purple heart, tulip wood) , cause any square edges like that, finish will crack off the first chance it gets, then when you're making the guitar, just don't round the edges with sandpaper, always use a block of some sort on the top and when smoothing the sides out and you'll have a pretth sharp edge, i've actually tore the skin off the inside of my thumb on the edge of some wooden blocks laying around the shop, so you might want to sand the edge a tad :D

i was thinking about it.... you might want to use a really hard wood top that doesn't need to be sealed or finished (padouk, bloodwood, pau amarello, purple heart, tulip wood) , cause any square edges like that, finish will crack off the first chance it gets, ...

Thanks,I should have stated,I`m already into the top too far.It`s Mahogany.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Do what PRS does. Flame maple veneer. You can get iron on stuff at your local wood store. Its 1/8" thick usually. If you can route that, then do the iron on stuff, or glue it on if you make your own. Otherwise, you can leave it natural, and dye the rest.

Do what PRS does. Flame maple veneer. You can get iron on stuff at your local wood store. Its 1/8" thick usually. If you can route that, then do the iron on stuff, or glue it on if you make your own. Otherwise, you can leave it natural, and dye the rest.

I just wanted nice little rounded edges :D I`m quite past wood choice and decision of top.CLICK HERE

On my Tele project ( no longer available on eBay ), I rounded over the edges with just finger pressure and sand paper. It wasn't hard to do, but it wasn't mahogony either. I would estimate that I got between a 1/8" to a 1/16" roundover.

26-BodyCloseup2.jpg

On the Straty project that I just finished, I used a 1/4" round over router bit on the table router. Only on the back side. Nice results.

PG3031-bridge.jpg

From the sounds of it, you want the minimum radius that you can get by with. I think you would be fine to hand sand it.

Back when I was first starting out, I got the Erlewine video on building an electric guitar. I'm pretty sure he says that he uses a round-over bit with a router. The size was pretty small - I can scan through the video for it if you want.

Is that the issue - you're trying to figure out how to smooth over the edges of the body or top of the guitar? For a figured maple top, I don't know if the router will be a good idea or not but it doesn't look like that's what you're dealing wiht anyway.

The roundover bit that he talked about was the type that had a pilot bearing on the end. If you'd like to know the size he suggested, let me know and I'll check into it later.

Is that the issue - you're trying to figure out how to smooth over the edges of the body or top of the guitar?

If you'd like to know the size he suggested, let me know and I'll check into it later.

Yes,that`s what I`m trying to do. :D

Thanks to all for the input.

Because of the body shape,I have to do the edges before I glue them (the wings) to the neck-thru.