Custom Electric With On-board Effects

RJV

Hi all.

Just finished a custom build and am pleased with the results. The guitar has some unusual features and effects - an onboard Fuzz with RF Antenna (functions like a theremin), a Pitch Shifter, a GK-3 Roland Divided pickup (for MIDI), 10 mode pickup selector etc.

I'm pleased with the look, and the guitar plays and feels great. A versatile instrument, and through trial and error the technology works perfectly.

Here are some pics pasted below, with some more pics and specs at this link ...

More Pictures and Specifications

and here is a link to a 9 minute demo video on YouTube

and here is a link to a 6 minute demo video on YouTube

and here is a link to a 5 minute demo video on YouTube

Regards, RJV :D

b556_10.JPG

b24f_10.JPG

b4a7_10.JPG

b40c_10.JPG

af02_10.JPG

ae69_10.JPG

b368_10.JPG

b185_10.JPG

b721_10.JPG

Edited by RJV

I wouldn't want to search for a bad connection on that

nice work but I can't help thinking that this is purely an advert

I doubt it's an advert. On this forum anyone who likes this guitar is unlikely to say "I want to buy it", more "I want to build it".

RJV, that's quite an impressive build. Maybe you should call it the 'hamburger' coz it's one with the lot.

nice to see another melbournite on board.

Cheers,

Brian.

• 3 weeks later...
I wouldn't want to search for a bad connection on that

nice work but I can't help thinking that this is purely an advert

"Purely an advert" ????? It's not for sale ..... its not even mine. I made it for one person as a gift. I enjoyed making it, the owner is delighted to own and play it.

Pardon me, but I thought members on this forum were interested in seeing the handiwork of other guitar owners/makers. I must be wrong.

Edited by RJV

strewth, calm down!

I said that because the page you linked to was on your ebay shop...which is usually where people sell stuff. Sorry that I was wrong, just mentioned it because it looked like you were implying, "here's a guitar I made, click here to buy it!" but as you said, it isn't for sale.

You did a brilliant job & thanks for sharing your work. I must have been in an over-analytical mood that day or possibly just thinking that everyone had a hidden agenda. Sorry.

:D

Nice build! I had thought in the past about experimenting with on-board effects and such (mostly ill-fated in application on my end, yet it was all in theory), but it's a nice build so congrats! It gives me that whole "Rammstien" guitar-vibe with all of the chrome and I think for all of the technology in there a metallic finish and theme is only appropriate.

By the way, this is the first Warmoth Z that I have seen completed and I think I like it.

Nice build! I had thought in the past about experimenting with on-board effects and such (mostly ill-fated in application on my end, yet it was all in theory), but it's a nice build so congrats! It gives me that whole "Rammstien" guitar-vibe with all of the chrome and I think for all of the technology in there a metallic finish and theme is only appropriate.

By the way, this is the first Warmoth Z that I have seen completed and I think I like it.

Thanks, the Z shape is a nice shape as is, and it was especially well suited to adding in on-board effects as the body section nearest the jack plate is slightly elongated and thus gives more room for all the electronics (as compared to, say, a standard Strat shape). The lower cutaway, in combination with the contoured heel, makes it incredibly easy to get to the 20th to 22nd frets.

Edited by RJV

AMAZING! Excellent work, RJV! With such a one-of-a-kind guitar, I'd be heartbroken to sell it :D But I suppose it's a business like everything else.

Man, and to think that I was having issues wrapping my head around a 2-hum, 2-knob setup on my own guitar, hahahah

You are right, I would also be heartbroken to sell it. But I didn't do that. I made it as a gift - which adds rather than takes away from the enjoyment of having made it.

strewth, calm down!

I said that because the page you linked to was on your ebay shop...which is usually where people sell stuff. Sorry that I was wrong, just mentioned it because it looked like you were implying, "here's a guitar I made, click here to buy it!" but as you said, it isn't for sale.

You did a brilliant job & thanks for sharing your work. I must have been in an over-analytical mood that day or possibly just thinking that everyone had a hidden agenda. Sorry.

:D

OK, no sweat. My motivation for linking from here was that it is my only web space where I can park photos for free and manage them easily, and in any event I already had the photos and spec on display there. Yes I sell parts etc. but I am not angling to sell anything here given this is a global forum (I supply in Australia only) and the parts I sell can be purchased in thousands of other places closer to forum members' homes.

That looks really cool, but holy rat's nest in the wiring...

There's certainly a lot of wiring but the layout is logical and I went to great pains to colour code it, group it, clip it etc. It doesn't look pretty in the photo second from the bottom but at that stage I was still bench testing the concepts and so I wasn't worried about it being a rat's nest (in some parts I was just linking one point to another with total disregard for wire length/routing etc. just to make sure the theory worked in practice without annoying crackles or hum).

The third last photo (looking at the open control cavity) was taken just before closing it up. Again, in practice the wiring is easier to follow than it appears in the photo, and the apparent "excess of wire" in the cavity is quite deliberate as it is there to enable, firstly, the pitch shifter PCB (that's it on the right of the photo) and, secondly, the Roland GK-3 divided pickup PCB to be flipped out of the control cavity for future repairs/mods to these items or to the pickuop switch or other knobs.

The Fuzz PCB is more difficult to access as it is buried in the front of the guitar just above the middle pickup. So the entire pickguard needs to be removed to get access to this. Not ideal, but I wanted to keep the back of the guitar uncluttered and so opted for this position. As there are no moving parts in the Fuzz PCB this shouldn't be a real problem.

Having said all this, I guess I can repair/mod it with my eyes closed (well nearly :D ) ....but it could pose quite a challenge (and probably an expensive one) for your average guitar tech.

• 4 weeks later...

Great work mate , I am looking to build a Muse inspired guitar as well which lead me to this thread.

So many questions but I'll keep it few.

What is the fuzz and theromin thing??

I bought a theromin from the states to add to my project only to find its an output device only, not what I thought it was. Is yours a Zvex probe fuzz??

What brand is the Pitch thingy??

I'am not putting a midi device onboard thats too adventrous for me but I might add a phaser.

Rgs Kev

• 4 months later...
Great work mate , I am looking to build a Muse inspired guitar as well which lead me to this thread.

I bought a theromin from the states to add to my project only to find its an output device only, not what I thought it was. Is yours a Zvex probe fuzz??

I'am not putting a midi device onboard thats too adventrous for me but I might add a phaser.

Rgs Kev

Sorry for tardy reply - I have been flat out lately.

The fuzz and theramin are from a stripped down Zvez Fuzz Probe pedal. In actual fact its wrong of me to describe it as a theramin. The copper plate on the upper horn of the guitar is an RF antenna which enables the compression on the fuzz to be varied by waving the hand over it ....."like a theramin". So the guitar does not have an in-built theramin - the antenna just varies the compression on the fuzz to vary the tone of the guitar pickup output.

The pitch effects come from an in-built Boss PS-5 Super Shifter pedal.

If you are interested there are a few new videos of the guitar in action on Youtube. See the links in my signature.

Rgs Kev

Sorry for tardy reply - I have been flat out lately.

The fuzz and theramin are from a stripped down Zvez Fuzz Probe pedal. In actual fact its wrong of me to describe it as a theramin. The copper plate on the upper horn of the guitar is an RF antenna which enables the compression on the fuzz to be varied by waving the hand over it ....."like a theramin". So the guitar does not have an in-built theramin - the antenna just varies the compression on the fuzz to vary the tone of the guitar pickup output.

The pitch effects come from an in-built Boss PS-5 Super Shifter pedal.

If you are interested there are a few new videos of the guitar in action on Youtube. See the links in my signature.

Thanks for getting back to me, its been a while. I have started a prototype of my effects layden guitar. just taking it slow and oh yeah its costing a bit more than normal. I think I have settled on having a fuzz/metal type overdrive plus the theromin and a pitch shifter or phaser plus some switching. I want to keep it a bit normal and affordable. The more I look into this guitar the more I appreciate the work that went into yours. I still think yours is the most mind blowing guitar ever made and shown on this site. I can't work out why so few people comment on it. I think its just too much for most.

the video is great, amazing actualy. Wouldyou still use the ps5, i have seen some older boss pitch shifters around that would be more cost effective.

I bought a digitech brian may pedal that would have been ideal except that it requires 16V AC.

K

• 8 months later...

I've been hunting down the this thread for weeks as search won't let me use "Zeta" as it's too short.

How has the balance worked out for you? I've found the offset shape works wonders for longer scales like the biohazard 8-string. I've really fallen for the Mirror shape in a big way. It's a really substantial body style!