Quarter-tone Guitar

I have a Squier Strat that I would like to modify. I want to double the number of frets, allowing the guitar to become a quarter-tonal guitar, however, I've never added frets to a guitar, only removed them. I'd hate to destroy the instrument (though monetarily speaking, it wouldn't really be a hardship). Does anyone have any advice on a method of adding frets for such an endeavor, or even some literature to recommend? Thanks a bunch.

That's pretty much exactly why. First, my ear's not really good enough to be able to land a perfect quarter tone when I'd like it, or even bend to one for that matter. I've been working on that, but I still have the problem that if I want to be able to voice chords with quarter-tones in them it'll take quite a bit more ear training as well as just guitar practice. I've got nothing against practicing with my instrument, but I'd also like to be able to someday fret a guitar neck from a fretless guitar, or possibly make a microtonal guitar from scratch. I figure this is a good starting place, especially since it wouldn't break my heart to see this guitar hopelessly destroyed.

I'm curious if fret size and scale would matter in this experiment? If these things make a big difference in playability then you would probably need to make a new neck, with those adjustments made. Just throwing thoughts to see what everyone thinks.

Edited by jmrentis

I think it might matter more around the higher frets, but I actually read an article where a guy who advocates microtonal music said that adding frets to an orthodox guitar will be the easiest way, one big problem I'm having is finding appropriate ratio and measurement information. This guy seems to know what he's talking about, but I can't figure out how to get in contact with him, so it's kind of a dead end.

Thanks for your replies.

Know what? I've been wanting to do this, or at least play a guitar with 48 frets, for a while. If anyone wanted to practice and get really skilled at it, I'd love to watch them play :D You could accompany a sitarist! It'd be cooler than whatever the Beatles did.

::EDIT::

I think you could get similar results, or at least have an easier time going about it, if you made a fretless guitar and marked all 48 frets. Much easier than trying to cram in a ton of fretwire onto the neck.

Know what? I've been wanting to do this, or at least play a guitar with 48 frets, for a while. If anyone wanted to practice and get really skilled at it, I'd love to watch them play :D You could accompany a sitarist! It'd be cooler than whatever the Beatles did.

::EDIT::

I think you could get similar results, or at least have an easier time going about it, if you made a fretless guitar and marked all 48 frets. Much easier than trying to cram in a ton of fretwire onto the neck.

+1 to the edit, I was thinking the same thing while reading...

I actually tried to de-fret a guitar earlier this year, but I totally wasn't ready. I think part of the problem was that I probably moved the truss rod too much too fast (I'm guessing) after the setup, because I had everything going fine until I had to adjust the neck. Now, the truss rom isn't working, so my work was for naught. I decided to see if it was do-able instead of trying to de-fret another, though that may be what I end up doing.

Also, the different color fretwire sounds like a good idea if I do add frets. Thanks for the tips, guys.