Help, First Time Building

I have a tom delonge squire strat that I have taken apart and am now in the process of taking the paint off of. I was just wondering, what is the best method of doing so (some steps would be helpful and I am on a tight budget). All I want to do is get the black paint off so I can re-paint (I am not looking to have a woodgrain look or anything). Sorry for any ignorance towards this but I am new.

It'll take a while, but sandpaper will probably be your best bet for staying on the cheap side of things. I'd take all the hardware and neck off, go outside, throw a mask and goggles on, and start sanding. The goggles and mask are to scare curious neighbors away :D

If you have access to an electric/power sander, it'd help a ton, too.

If you do strip it down to wood and shoot it with a Nitro Cellulose finish... it will sound better. The poly mutes the woods natural tone. Nitro was made for wood finishes and it breathes. Nitro also ages better than poly, you will have a classic within a few years. You can go quick and cheap or create a classic... just depends on what you want.

you would think sandpaper is the cheap option but iv completely worn a whole packet of palm sander paper and iv only just got through the main coat on the front..i havnt even removed the undercoat stuff.

so atm im having to spend all my pocket money on sandpaper :/

Drak is exactly correct. If the existing finish has no peeling or cracking, you can hand sand the paint until it is dull and shoot the new finish on top of it. As long as the existing finish is dull (all over...try not to miss any spots) the new paint will stick just fine.

And in case the sarcasm of some of the above posts hasn't hit you yet...please don't believe the nitro celulose myth without doing some good, reputable research. There is no proof, in my mind, that the finish will help the tone, resonance, of any other acoustic characteristic of a guitar, at least to any appreciable extent. Do your own research and draw your own conclusions. Voodoo thrives abundantly in the musical instrument world. Convince yourself...do not arbitrarily believe anything anyone says ... including me.

Peace...Rog