Body Design

I made a few body designs and I was wondering if they were

a ) Practical (pickup location, neck joint strength, strap button location, etc.)

b ) Good-looking

c ) Not copying a previous shape (I think they are original designs but maybe someone's seen something exactly like this)

There are two bottom cut shapes and two horns but the basic idea is the same.

I'm just looking for constructive feedback on the design. Anything I can fix to make it better. Thanks.

Shape A, Horn 1

Shape B, Horn 1

Shape A, Horn 2

Shape B, Horn 2

Draft 2 or 4 have most potential imho...

But if you ask me, they could do with a little tweaking. In their current state, I'm not 100% keen on any to be perfectly honest, but with a little modification, I think those 2 could have something going for them.

The last one looks best to me, but I'm not entirely crazy about it. I can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with it, but I think the lower horn looks a bit too fender-like for this type of design.

Regarding your headstock design, it looks to me like the d and g strings would have to have to pivot on the a and b posts. You may want to re-think that.

it looks kinda like one of those jacksons. but theres something slightly wrong with it. but the last draft did look kinda okay.

its all up to personal preference i guess...some people like the look of BC riches...

If the rectangle is showing the neck pocket, it seems too detached-- nothing supporting it on either side. Also, there's not much of a waist, which gives it a formless feel. The treble-side cutaway and the armrest area are not complementary-- the arm rest area is kinda pointy-ish and the other is (as noted) kinda Fender-ish.

As you've already identified, the headstock is just wrong.

Edit: I see you revised it while I was posting. I like 6 the best so far. I think the lower horn looks a little too thin compared to the rest of the big meaty body. I would try thickening the horn a little bit, while keeping it pointy. Also maybe play around with adding more of a waist to it.

As a suggestion... Draw out your bridge(proper string spacing), nut (proper width and string spacing, space them based on your scale length and mark your proper fret locations, align the strings from nut to bridge based on the actual string spacing, mark the required sides of the fretboard based on the string locations, place pickups based on the body based on type you choose to use and minimum length of fretboard required for the number of frets you will be using, if it is a bolt on account for and note the minimum required pocket required(if it is a neck through just keep in mind the transition). After that(the minimum required elements) is drawn. You can start playing with body shapes and headstock shapes. If you don't do this you have no idea whether or not the proportions are workable or not. Hopefully that will help you create a good working drawing.

Peace,Rich

hmm what if you moved the waist back slightly used a curved fender style horn and make the back look a normal guitar thats been bitten by a shark...or something like that.

just an idea lol :/

ok, its still not quite right in my opinion and needs some work, but this is kinda the direction in which i would suggest tweaking it:

Draft5.jpg

the back still looks kinda wrong.

your getting close the last one is looking pretty good but the neck is not attached at all really your neck pickup is where your pocket should be.... i think your design is fairly original i dont think ive seen anything like it there are some that are close but you will always have somthing close to someones. looks like it will end up being really cool post some picks when you get it started

Edited by Ferdinand_Oconner

As a suggestion... Draw out your bridge(proper string spacing), nut (proper width and string spacing, space them based on your scale length and mark your proper fret locations, align the strings from nut to bridge based on the actual string spacing, mark the required sides of the fretboard based on the string locations, place pickups based on the body based on type you choose to use and minimum length of fretboard required for the number of frets you will be using, if it is a bolt on account for and note the minimum required pocket required(if it is a neck through just keep in mind the transition). After that(the minimum required elements) is drawn. You can start playing with body shapes and headstock shapes. If you don't do this you have no idea whether or not the proportions are workable or not. Hopefully that will help you create a good working drawing.

Peace,Rich

Yes, I just happened to find this out recently. I had been playing with a design for quite a while and finally got a shape that I really liked. Only to find out that once drawn to size and ratio I would need a good 16-18+ width to get any fret access, so many compromises later I made that design I posted in the off topic. So far its gone by the name of the millenium falcon, :D, but it's going to work and I like the design so no worries. As you said Rich, it's best to draw out the measurements first before playing with designs that way you know what will work and save yourself some time by avoiding designs that won't really work. For fun and effect I even had knobs and pickup routes drawn out to see how the setup would look as well, lol.

As for the designs, I say go with what you like, but as Rich suggested draw it out first then play with it, I found it much easier to adjust the designs to my preference in full size anyhow. Good luck with the design and keep us posted! Jay

Edited by jmrentis

Ok. Thank you all for your help. I just have to get on the computer and do a CAD drawing of the basics and then draw my shape around that. Here is what I have for now, but I will get accurate pickups, bridge, string spacing, etc. on the computer and post that once I get around to it.

Draft10.jpg

Edited by BNichols