Who Is Your Guitar Hero ?

charols

For Bass:

Cliff Burton

Steve Digiorgio

Greg Christian

And i'm gonna get shot for this, but Fieldy.

Fieldy is the bassist for Korn if anyone doesn't know. I hate him now, but when I first started, all I wanted to play was "Got The Life." Its easy now. I also drew up a custom bass for him. Here's the specs:

1 string (probably a B )

2 Frets

No tuning machines

Plywood body

A guitar pickup

No controls

Extra long strap

Basic hardware for holding one string in place.

I tell you what, he'd rock that thing!

Fieldy is definitely more of a percussionist than a bassist, as he locks in with the drums rather than supplying an underlying sense of melody. I wouldn't typify him as either a guitar player, or a hero however.

-----------------

I have to throw in my list (in no order) then:

- Satriani

- Devin Townsend

- Jed Simon

- be-era Hetfield

- Mick Mars

- Fredrik Thordendal

- Marten Hagstrom

If we're including bassists then:

- Sixx

- Claypool

- Marco Hietala

- Geddy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you famous and not telling us?

Only by word of mouth...amongst the ladies...including some you know,but I promised to be discreet... :D

LOL ,I don't know any ladies,you must have me confused with someone else.Sure that is not Use of mouth ...amongst the men? :D .too

And now back to your regular station.

hehehehe yeah, ever since i discovered the scandinavian bands i realized that new american metal bands suck and they rip off the scandinavians a LOT. :D

And yeah, i meant Andreas when Max was still in Sepultura.

I'd add Max Cavalera to the list because the man could write kick ass songs, but he wasn't the best guitarist out there.

Edited by eddiewarlock

I've had many big influences. First it was Robin Finck who at the time was with NIN and then Wes Borland. Both of which I still really admire. I then discovered John 5 and was totally blown away and inspired to try to better my guitar playing skills.

There are a lot of really good guitar players and I could go on all day naming talented guitar players, but these are the ones that have really stood out to me.

I've had many big influences. First it was Robin Finck who at the time was with NIN and then Wes Borland. Both of which I still really admire. I then discovered John 5 and was totally blown away and inspired to try to better my guitar playing skills.

There are a lot of really good guitar players and I could go on all day naming talented guitar players, but these are the ones that have really stood out to me.

I met John 5 this year..he was real nice,my son additioned for his band once,he got his band together cut a cd and video ,then quit his band and went to work with Rob Z. kinda wierd but I guess he does not need the money.

I met John 5 this year..he was real nice,my son additioned for his band once,he got his band together cut a cd and video ,then quit his band and went to work with Rob Z. kinda wierd but I guess he does not need the money.

He seems like a really humble guy with a huge obsession for Telecasters. I really wish I had the chance to meet him just to thank him for inspiring me to keep at playing guitar and to work at taking my mediocre playing to the next level.

From what I've read about him it also seems as though hes played for/with tons of people. If I recall correctly, I remember watching an interview where he said hes played and written music for many people and that he spent a lot of time studying their music to better help him play with them. Seems like he has a lot of discipline.

I have seen his band Loser before and it is really weird that he started it and then jumped on with Rob Zombie, but I think hes a good fit and his style really compliments Rob's style. I'm a huge White Zombie fan though, so I love watching youtube videos of Rob playing old White Zombie songs with John 5 live. :D

Well, I guess it was Pete Townshend who made me wanna pick up a guitar in the first place.

Then I heard Billy Gibbons, and that blew me away!

From there it all went a bit metal: I always admired Adrian Smith of Maiden and Jake E. Lee from Ozzy's band because they were excellent technical players, but still very much part of a BAND.

Enter the Main Man: Steve Vai

I also feel indebted to Randy Rhoads, James Hetfield (who I realised only kinda recently has always been a massive influence on my rhythm playing!) and Joe Satriani.

I have recently really enjoyed following online and magazine lessons/tutorials from Paul Gilbert.

Of the more recent players in metal I particularly enjoy Alexi Laiho's stuff - v.inventive player!

(I would have to hold my hands up and say that, although I have respect for them all, the following players have in no conscious way interested/influenced me: Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Angus Young, Slash, Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore. Sorry, that's just how it is!)

So, if I had to pick just one: Vai. No-one comes close to the range of expression he has IMHO. (But then I haven't heard every guitar player have I?? :D )

DJ

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was revisiting this thread and realized that I don't think anyone has mentioned Frank Gambale. He was not one of the ten I mentioned over two years ago, but I have always thought his playing was amazing.

Edited by Stolysmaster