What Pickups Are The "best Of The Best"?

Lotza_Noize

I do not care the cost, what pickups do you feel are the "Best of the Best"? I play rock and metal, fast and slow. Looking to find what sounds the best for great harmonics and a clear signal. I can distort at the far end when needed. And I could have a good clear signal for solos and rhythm work.

Let me first say what configurations and guitar details. I am building a custom Ibanez JEM with a new Prestige RG 24 fret neck. The body will be made of Swamp Ash and the Pickups will be the Ibanez standard config of Humbucker-Single-Humbucker (2-1-2).

(Edited) I will be looking at amps soon. But I would probably buy a Marshall AVT275X combo amp for practice.

avt275xspecs.jpg

So with that being said what pickups would you use?

P.S. has anyone ever used Q-tuner pickups? Has anyone ever used Bare Knuckle Pickups? Are DiMarzio pickups worth it? What about Seymour Duncan? What about EMG?

Again looking for the "Best of the Best" in your opinion.

ROCK ON!!! :D

Bareknuckle are very highly revered..depends what type of music you're playing though, I assume it's kinda Satch, Vai type stuff if it's a JEM (apologies if I've made a generalisation). If it is that style, I don't know if bareknuckles are the best...

EMGs are good i guess, but an EMG in a squier strat sounds pretty much like the same pickup in a custom luthiered job, so you won't get the tone of the wood as much as with a passive pickup.

I'd just like to point out that about 80% (probably more) comes from your amp, and alot is controlled by what FX you use... the old saying:

crap guitar -> awesome amp= awesome tone

amazing guitar -> crap amp = crap tone

It sounds slightly like you're expecting pickups to be the be-all and end-all of your tone, which they really aren't. Sure they play a part, but so does everything right down to your strings! I'm not saying don't get good pups, but don't go overboard and end up dissapointed! :D good luck!

Well, if price is no object, those Bare Knuckle pickups are very nice from what I've heard of them and a lot of people are ecstatic about them.

And I agree with donbenjy on the amp deal, though I'm not so sure the amp is important enough to make a crap guitar sound like an awesome guitar. But, nevertheless, your amp is very important and I would get a good amp before I got new pickups.

CMA

Edited by CrazyManAndy

Hey! Spring, TX is my old stomping grounds before I moved up to DFW.

As for pickups, Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio both make great passive pickups. But pickups are only part of the equation. Using a high output pickup to drive a high gain amp like a Peavey 5150/6505 is going to sound like crap, while using a moderately powered pickup through the same amp will sound better. It really all depends on what you plan to have in your signal chain.

I find the Duncan JB/Jazz combo to be a very versatile set of humbuckers, and they are probably the most used upgraded pickups in the world.

On the Dimarzio side, I like the Super Distortion in the bridge and the Paf Pro in the neck. Unless you have impeccable technique, I'd stay away from the Evolution and opt for the Evo 2 instead. A lot of people who like actives are supposedly raving about the DiMarzio D-Activator pickups, but I haven't tried them.

For high gain stuff, EMGs will provide a lot of clarity with high gain, but at the risk of losing 'organic' sounding tone. Some people say the clean sound is "sterile," but I like the clean sound with a touch of reverb.

I haven't tried the Q-tuner pickups, and they won't post a distorted clip on their website. I e-mailed them to suggest it, and the owner replied that he hadn't met a player good enough to play his pickups with a high gain amp. :D

Bare Knuckles seem to also have a really decent following, both from pros and regular joes for a "new" pickup manufacturer. I believe they are based in the UK.

On the Dimarzio side, I like the Super Distortion in the bridge and the Paf Pro in the neck. Unless you have impeccable technique, I'd stay away from the Evolution and opt for the Evo 2 instead. A lot of people who like actives are supposedly raving about the DiMarzio D-Activator pickups, but I haven't tried them.

I was looking to get DiMarzio's (DiMarzio Breed (Neck), SDS-1 (Middle) & Super Distortion (Bridge)), but i'm not real sure. I think this would be a nice config with this amp. Also I wanted to use a high output amp for Live performances. What do ya'll think about that configuration?

If money were nothing, I would try Lindy Fralin pickups. I have never played a guitar with them, but they're hand-made I believe. But, I would tend to stay away from "metal" pickups and go with something modeled after a classic PAF.

What type of metal are you playing? A lot of people who play power, progressive, thrash metal love the JB/Jazz combo. But the JB has too much treble for most death metal guys. They seem to prefer the Duncan Custom in the bridge. Or most seem to be big fans of EMG, but I am not sure which ones.

If you're buying a Marshall AVT amp, I'd stay away from the high-gain pickups and go with something milder like the PAF Pro or Breed pickups. The amp has all the gain you'll ever need and there's no reason to go Fralin unless you're going 100% with everything--like running a Bogner Shiva.

Bare Knuckles have received very good reviews on this site from our friends across the pond, but I think unless you're living in Europe, DiMarzio, Duncan, and Bill and Becky Lawrence are a much better deal for the money in the US.

I'm gonna toss in my limited opinion and say that I got a pair of EMGs, 81/60, and I love 'em to death, but I don't think I'd put them on any other of my guitars. In fact, I KNOW I'm not going to, but that's beside the point :D I just feel that they're too limiting, not versatile for me. Going with an 89 might be something to think about, just because it's made for coil splitting. It'd give you some variety. Unfortunately, clear signal, harmonics and distortion fits the bill of what you're looking for, as well as the fact that you play rock and metal...

I'd just go for something more versatile. Definitely check out the PAF-modeled pickups from SD and Dimarzio. They all have sound samples on their websites. The Duncan JB/Jazz or JB/59 is a surefire win, I haven't heard a bad thing about them, heh. Any of the Dimarzio PAF's will do well, too. Hell, most of Dimarzio's signed artists are shredders :D Harmonics, clarity, technique, smooth distortion, everything that you're looking for.

On another note, GBT, why would you shy away from Evo's? I played the JEM model with those pickups, and they were fantastic!

Evo's were designed to be used with a low-gain vintage-style tube amp and a distortion box--not high gain modern hybrid solid-state amps. They'll push the front end so hard that they turn to mud if you don't back 'em off.

Wanna know the reason why pinch harmonics sound so great on EMGs? Low string pull and low internal resistance. The magnets are so weak that they have almost zero effect on vibration, and the coils aren't wound as high to there's fewer electrons to try to push through all that wire. Look at the specs on the DiMarzio D-Activator and you'll see they're using the same theory on a passive platform.

Mmm, I knew about the low pull of the EMGs, as much as the directions "set the pickups as close to the strings as possible" sound to my ears (blasphemy!). I actually had the pleasure(?) to play the D-Activators through my weapon of choice, Line6. They didn't sound to great. Took 'em over to the SatchBox though, and they were amazing. So I'm thinking it's the amp moreso than the pickups :D But yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with the D-Activators.

So your theory about the Evo's would probably say that I shouldn't get them for my PodXt? Scratch that idea, then, hahaha, I ain't got no vintage tubes and a stomp, I've got digital modeling. Though, thinking about it, if Line6 ever came out with tubes with their products, I'd probably die of happiness.

Best passive pickup I've ever heard for modeling is the DiMarzio PAF Pro. I use the PAF Classics in my Les Paul and they're just perfect winds for a modeler OR using high-end gear. I use an EMG-SA setup in my MIM Strat for the same reason.

Thanks for the advice, Crafty! I'll look into the PAF Pro, definitely. To balance it out, I'd like something a bit hotter in the Bridge, so barring the Evo's, what about a Super Dist or a Tone Zone?

But man, listening to Dragonforce makes me want to go out and buy a JEM. Can't help it, hahaha.

I do not care the cost, what pickups do you feel are the "Best of the Best"? I play rock and metal, fast and slow. Looking to find what sounds the best for great harmonics and a clear signal. I can distort at the far end when needed. And I could have a good clear signal for solos and rhythm work.

Let me first say what configurations and guitar details. I am building a custom Ibanez JEM with a new Prestige RG 24 fret neck. The body will be made of Swamp Ash and the Pickups will be the Ibanez standard config of Humbucker-Single-Humbucker (2-1-2).

(Edited) I will be looking at amps soon. But I would probably buy a Marshall AVT275X combo amp for practice.

avt275xspecs.jpg

So with that being said what pickups would you use?

P.S. has anyone ever used Q-tuner pickups? Has anyone ever used Bare Knuckle Pickups? Are DiMarzio pickups worth it? What about Seymour Duncan? What about EMG?

Again looking for the "Best of the Best" in your opinion.

ROCK ON!!! :D

I've used a lot of "great" pickups in my guitars. I would have to say that for what you're describing, Bare Knuckle would be the way to go. They make several different types of Hums and singles, and you can hear them on their site. I've used Mississippi Queens, Irish Tours, EVII's and Rebel Yell's and been extremely impressed each time.

Good Luck in your search,

Dave

What type of metal are you playing? A lot of people who play power, progressive, thrash metal love the JB/Jazz combo. But the JB has too much treble for most death metal guys. They seem to prefer the Duncan Custom in the bridge. Or most seem to be big fans of EMG, but I am not sure which ones.

Mostly 80's Metal. I am a 37 year old head bagger. I grew up listning to Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer, & S.O.D. And my idols are Jimi Hendrix, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, & Eddie Van Halen. So I am looking for this kind of sound. Good highs and Mid.

Thanks for the advice, Crafty! I'll look into the PAF Pro, definitely. To balance it out, I'd like something a bit hotter in the Bridge, so barring the Evo's, what about a Super Dist or a Tone Zone?

But man, listening to Dragonforce makes me want to go out and buy a JEM. Can't help it, hahaha.

Either a PAF Pro bridge or the FRED. Tone Zone's good if you like '90s EVH. I think you'll hate the Super Distortion through a modeler like the POD.

Thanks for the suggestions, Crafty! I think it's a tossup between the Norton and Tone Zone, based on the EQ listings and output levels on the Dimarzio site. I played the Satch custom at GC with the FRED in the bridge, and I wasn't all that impressed. I dunno about having a matched set of PAF Pro's, I'd want something hotter in the bridge, methinks. Well, in either case, buying electronics for my project is quite a ways away, haha. I'll have something to ponder over. Too bad they don't put Dimarzio's in more stock guitars, or I could try more of them out myself.

Too bad they don't put Dimarzio's in more stock guitars, or I could try more of them out myself.

From DiMarzio's website:

"The PAF Pro® was created when chops-intensive playing was first starting to happen, and high-gain amps and rack systems were getting popular. A pickup was needed that combined a lot of presence and "cut" with an open-sounding PAF® vibe. The transparency of its sound lets the PAF Pro® slice through heavy processing, where darker-sounding pickups get lost in the mud of the effects chain."

Anyway, a lot of manufacturers were putting DiMarzios in their guitars back in the late '80s and early '90s, now Parker and Ibanez are really the only ones still installing them from the factory. Too bad, 'cause I think they're a lot better than Duncans for the modern player who's using solid state and hybrid amps with either built-in or external modeling systems. Most of the pickups Larry DiMarzio designed after the high-output series were designed specifically to be used with modern equipment. A lot of people don't know that he learned the craft from Bill Lawrence back in the '70s, too.

Now, I'm not a Duncan hater by any means and I used to run them in all my guitars, but I really think the DiMarzios are better for use with modern equipment than the glorified rewinds and overwinds that Seymour's been putting out for 30 years. I think a lot of people like Ed Roman started this whole anti-DiMarzio hubris about 10 years ago and everyone's been saying Duncan's the best ever since.

Man, why am I not surprised to see the ol' Romanizer mentioned :D In other news, I think I'll go with the Norton bridge and PAF Pro neck for the V build. The Norton isn't as high-output or overpoweringly bassy as the Tone Zone, and it's a "recommended match" with the PAF Pro, so I think it might be the more compatible choice.

Reading up on everyone's advice I have made a diction (sort of).

I don't know which config I'm going to use. But they will be one of two configs of DiMarzio:

Neck: Breed (DP165) or PAF Pro (DP151)

Middle: HS-2 (DP116) or HS-3 (DP117)

Bridge: Super Distortion (DP100)

OR

Neck: Evolution Neck (DP158)

Middle: HS-2 (DP116) or HS-3 (DP117)

Bridge: Evo 2 Bridge (DP215)

Which config would you use? Keep in mind that I want that cool Steve Vai Sound. Since it is a JEM body.

For cool Steve Vai sound, I'd go with the combination with more Evo's :D since those are kinda his signature pickups and all. I honestly don't use the middle pickup at all, ever, haha, but if you do then I'd get a decent mid pickup like the one's you picked out. Otherwise, I'd just get a broken pickup to fill the space with.