What Do You Guys Usually Pay For Mahogany?

i had a chance a few weeks ago to buy a board of ribbon grain african mahogany in the size of 2x15x10ft for 96$. now if you ask me that is a titanic sized piece of wood for that price. so what do you guys pay for your mahogany? please list all 3 dimentions for your wood. thanks!

I work for a office furniture company in Michigan and that price sound good to me.

I just checked a local wood store and 2 inch mahogany is 11.16 board foot.

the same size piece of mahogany would be 280.00 here in Michigan

for a body blank for a fender strat/tele your looking about 40.00

if it is still available I would get it.

you will have enough for a few projects not to mention ribbon mahogany is vary nice stuff.

I work for a office furniture company in Michigan and that price sound good to me.

you will have enough for a few projects not to mention ribbon mahogany is vary nice stuff.

well they always have a ton of huge mahogany boards at this place nice and clean and clear. most of the good stuff is at the bottom of a pile, and you can only go under 1 stack. ive been going there for 2 years, and just started looking into mahogany recently. by the way, what other types of ash are there besides swamp ash, because i used some ash for one of my other projects, and it has the same grain pattern as swamp, but was ridiculously heavy and hard. i broke 2 bandsaw blades on it and had to get a huge blade to be able to cut it.

well they always have a ton of huge mahogany boards at this place nice and clean and clear. most of the good stuff is at the bottom of a pile, and you can only go under 1 stack. ive been going there for 2 years, and just started looking into mahogany recently. by the way, what other types of ash are there besides swamp ash, because i used some ash for one of my other projects, and it has the same grain pattern as swamp, but was ridiculously heavy and hard. i broke 2 bandsaw blades on it and had to get a huge blade to be able to cut it.

It could have been northern hard ash (the other widely used ash for guitars)

Let me know once you get it. I'd like to place my order now though. One 2ft. piece please.

Believe me when I say that some of us find it hard to locate wood besides using Evil-bay. Heck you could even make it a side business to help pay for your guitar stuff.

Anyway, that sounds like a deal so jump on it. :D

Give me a PM when its ready. :D

I gotta admit I've built 3 guitars and have enough quality mahogany, wrn. maple, holly etc. for at least 4 more and I never paid a dime for any of that wood. I guess its a combination of luck, having a sharp eye and being an opportunist (no I don't steal it!). But $96 for 2"X15"X10' plank is a good deal, thats about seven 1-piece guitar bodies, ya can't beat that. :D

I got a 13" x 1 3/4" x 9-10' piece for around $95-110 once. The price you're paying is very good.

Rick500 - I go to Woodcraft / Rockler / other random small places for select pieces you may not find anywhere else. Always go on the sales and you'll pay lumberyard prices. :D

i had a chance a few weeks ago to buy a board of ribbon grain african mahogany in the size of 2x15x10ft for 96$. now if you ask me that is a titanic sized piece of wood for that price. so what do you guys pay for your mahogany? please list all 3 dimentions for your wood. thanks!

That plank is 25 board feet or about $3.84 per board foot, which is a good price. My main source of mahogany is Houston Hardwoods. They sell African mahogany for $4.65 / bf and Honduran mahogany for $8.20 / bf if you select the piece yourself. Its cheaper if you let them select it for you, but not sure anyone building guitars would let them do that.

That plank is 25 board feet or about $3.84 per board foot, which is a good price. My main source of mahogany is Houston Hardwoods. They sell African mahogany for $4.65 / bf and Honduran mahogany for $8.20 / bf if you select the piece yourself. Its cheaper if you let them select it for you, but not sure anyone building guitars would let them do that.

Retail prices around here are similar. If you buy quantity you can drop that a bit(if you have an account with most dealers you get a discount based on the volume you buy). Khaya (african Mahogany) is a pretty good wood. I have found(and this really gets me mad), that many chains are now selling "Mahogany"(what they used to sell was genuine, or Honduran) which is actually Khaya and not pointing out the fact that they have made the change. Mind you they are still charging $8-$11 bd. ft(about right for genuine, but not Khaya). Look closely before you buy. Khaya can be hard to destinguish, but look for the stringy fibers where Khaya has been cut, and generally it will feel lighter(than genuine). Khaya is great wood, but you should be charged for khaya, not genuine. I know the Woodcrafters near my house has made this change, I confirmed it when I questioned the staff.

Peace,Rich