Now here's something different..

Clavin

A spotted rabbit fish.

I know... B)

Neat fish huh?

This was done for one of the senior scientists at the National Institute of Health in Maryland. He studies electroreception in sharks, as well as chimeras (this guy) and also builds classical guitars for a hobby. The materials are brown lip pearl, brown lip abalam, pink mussel, copper, and black and white pearl.

He's also getting a blue shark on the fretboard- more to come later.

Thanks for looking :D

Craig

chimera.jpg

Thanks Lovekraft.

I guess all I can say is it does get easier. My first inlays looked a lot worse than a lot of what I see here. It's like anything- practice practice.. and try to have a passion for the subject as well. I hope I never have to do a vine, or a torch..

I just can't see the link between creative music, players, and botany I guess..

Craig

that's beautiful man.

Page.

Beautiful work!

I just can't see the link between creative music, players, and botany I guess..

Being both a scientist and guitarist...the connection is this. The scientist spends the better part of the day starving the artistic side of the brain, which gets its exercise only evenings and weekends.

The fish (besides being pretty unique) makes it a bit easier to transition from one to the other (speed-shifting between the two sides of the brain is not to be recommended...).

And (ahem), he's a biologist. The botanists prefer stuff like vines, trees, etc (you know, plants).

I see this has taken on a very small life of it's own.

:D

I too am a scientists first and foremost. Marine biologist (bet you couldn't guess right?) I agree with Erikbojerick about the changeover effect. B)

I just meant that of all the images you could possibly choose from to put on something so close and personal, and self expressive as your instrument (in this case guitars) Why do most tend to want to see vines, trees of life, torches, etc..

It seems it's more a part of being stuck on what's been done before. With inlay or any art you can put whatever you dream up on a guitar.

I just find it a little hard to believe that a lot people find vines and torches expressive of thier heartfelt musical being.

:D

Thanks for all of your comments!

Craig

You know, you guys with skill and talent are sure makin' it hard on the rest of us... seriously, that's a spectacular piece of work. (heavy sigh) Maybe someday...can't wait to see the shark!

The shark inlay would be perfect on a Rhodes V. It looks like a shark fin, so the inlay would be perfect. :D